Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

May 13, 2024, 12:21:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Really need some help..PLEASE help me if you can

Started by newstepmommy, Apr 26, 2005, 01:11:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

newstepmommy

Hi,
My name is Toni and I am looking for an answer to my question. I hope that someone can help me ASAP.
My boyfriend has a little girl in SC and the mother has apparently signed over her rights to the grandparents. My boyfriend wants his little girl but did not want to take her away from the mother. Now if this is all true and she has signed over her rights, what does my boyfriend have to do to get full custody of his daughter?
They have not been to court for visitation or anything so there are no court papers giving her full custody or him no visitation rights. What can we do to bring that little girl here with us where she belongs?

Ref

Welcome.

Sorry that you have to be here, but this is probably the best place for you to find infomation to help your boyfriend.

The first question is, were they married? If not, was paternity established? If not, he should have it established right now. He should then file a motion for custody. I would get an attorney right away. Now, if he has not been involved in the kid's life for a while and the grandparents have been raising the child, he could have a fight on his hands. If he has been there all along, he will have a better chance.

You may have a good case depending on what the status quo has been, at least in my eyes.

On raising his chances outside of the court house, he should take a parenting class, he should spend as much time as possible with her. He should call often. He should go to her school and meet teachers (if she is that age) and DEFINATELY keep himself out of anything that could be construed as trouble. None of this will matter unless he has everything documented. Document when he calls, what they talked about all his visitations all of his appointments with the school. DOCUMENT DOCUMENT DOCUMENT!!!!

You started out well coming to this page. Have him read the articles and post tons of questions. There are some professionals on this site, but also some parents that have gone through it all.

GOOD LUCK!

newstepmommy

Thank you so much for helping me so fast. I have looked everywhere for help with this. I just lucked up when I surfed this site. It is great! He is going to find this very helpful.

Now, they were not married. Paternity was established. She is his daughter by 99.996% we have the documentation here. We live in Texas and they are in SC so the answer to the one question is no, he has not been around her due to the fact that the mother would not allow him to be. He moved out here to better his life, get a good job, etc...so that he could fight for custody of her and have a stable foundation for her. The mother has been raising her up until 2 weeks ago. That is when we were told that she had signed over her rights. We found out 2 days after the fact and we have been trying to find out what we have to do to get full custody of her ever since. She is 1 year old.
He has called to check on her and he pays child support.

I hope this was all of the questions you asked.

Thank you again.

kitten

Move back if you can.  She has family in SC and that will be important to the court.  Do you think the grandparents will work with him or are they pshycho like mom?

newstepmommy

I have offered to move back to SC with him, but he thinks that the life that he has established here is better than the one he could or would have in SC. And I LOVE the pshycho mom thing, lol...I am not really sure how they are. I do know that the mom also has 2 other children by different men and they are with the grandparents also.

kitten

Sounds to me like the grandparents have ALOT on their plate.  His best bet is to move back, talk to the grandparents to see if they will back him for custody.  He should specify that he intends to maintain a continuing relationship between his daughter and them if they so desire.  I really think it is his best bet.  BTW...I think I spelled psycho wrong!