Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

May 14, 2024, 04:50:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Collecting from NCP/M in Oregon?

Started by clermont, Jan 15, 2009, 01:06:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clermont

I am trying to collect child support from the NCP/M in Oregon. She is in arrears of $5000.00 now, and keeps going on and off welafare. In Oregon it is ILLEGAL to collect or accrue child support while collecting cash benefits. Anyone know a way around this, or have any tips? This is frustrating, to make it worse, severing rights is almost impossible, what to do?

gemini3

Is your child support collection being handled by the Oregon Division of Child Support, or is she supposed to pay you directly?  If she's supposed to pay you directly your first step will be to open a case with ODCS.

I don't know the details of your case, but it sounds like you might be trying to get blood out of a rock.  If she's on welfare she may not have the ability to pay.  I'm not debating whether this is right or wrong - just saying that sometimes your efforts are better spent on other things.  If you're going after her on principle alone, and she has no ability to pay you, then you're setting yourself up to hit a wall.

Also try to remember that visitation isn't for the parent, it's for the child.  Children need healthy, loving relationships with both parents.  So severing her rights to see her children because she's not paying you is going to hurt your child way more than it's going to hurt your ex.  Children should not be used to punish the other parent - ever.