Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

May 06, 2024, 06:39:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

I owe you thanks on something else too

Started by DecentDad, Apr 18, 2006, 02:34:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DecentDad

You may recall that my prior attorney (lead guy in the office) bonked in 2004 by not objecting to a proposed judgment, having it entered, and not being able reverse above-guideline support amounts to which I had never agreed.  And he racked up $9k in fees during the whole mess, billing me for it all (I disputed each bill).

You advised to make him an offer for the liquidated value of the balance owed, excluding his work to correct his own error (to which he never admitted).

I went through all the invoices and came to a total of $800 of valid services unrelated to the error.

He rebuked my offer, offered $6000 to settle, said it would avoid possible legal action.

I replied, noting our binding arbitration clause, welcomed him to initiate arbitration.

That was a year ago, and you told me to just sit on it.  I watched the monthly invoices come in, with new interest on each.

Today the firm's new business manager called to introduce himself.  He said he went through my file, my position makes sense to him, and he got authorization to accept my original offer of $800 to settle it.  I'm asking him to mail me a letter to that effect.

I know it's probably their last-ditch effort to salvage anything from the balance, and I'd sooner keep the $800.  But fair is fair, so I'm okay with that figure.  :)

Thanks!  You da man.

DecentDad

Well... I can post-date a check to 2028 AD, if that's okay.

Else, what's your favorite charity/nonprofit that takes donations?  I'll give something in appreciation of what you do to help schmoes like me.

socrateaser

>Well... I can post-date a check to 2028 AD, if that's okay.
>
>Else, what's your favorite charity/nonprofit that takes
>donations?  I'll give something in appreciation of what you do
>to help schmoes like me.

No charge for this round.

DecentDad

Well... I can post-date a check to 2028 AD, if that's okay.

Else, what's your favorite charity/nonprofit that takes donations?  I'll give something in appreciation of what you do to help schmoes like me.

socrateaser

>Well... I can post-date a check to 2028 AD, if that's okay.
>
>Else, what's your favorite charity/nonprofit that takes
>donations?  I'll give something in appreciation of what you do
>to help schmoes like me.

No charge for this round.