Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Sep 20, 2024, 03:48:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

she's Moving in with him

Started by martune, Mar 20, 2005, 12:10:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

martune

I have joint custody of my 5 year old son, with his mother being the physical resident custodial parent in the state of Illinois, will county.
We have a very good relationship, and we are both very considerate of each other regarding visitation and parenting.  We live within 5 miles of each other, his preschool, his Grandmother, and his babysitter.
Recently I have been informed she plans to move in with a man twice her age, out of this jurisdiction.  The additional miles to be traveled are not that significant, but I purchased my house specifically to be in close proximity.  This will most likely mean a new babysitter, school buddies, friends, etc.   I am not so much concerned with the charactor of the man involved, as much as I am concerned that this is going to be another short term relationship, if history is any indication.  
I am specifically concerned about the well being of my son being dragged through a short term situation.  The fact that there is no marriage planned would indicate a lack of commitment.  
I would like to petition to gain physical custodial parent status for myself, away from his mother.  Is there any grounds here?
I have not been unable to find any Illinois law regarding this situation.

hagatha

Just because your ex is moving in with another man (regardless of his age) will not be sufficient enough for a change of custody.

The ONLY thing you can do is petition for her to remain in the juristiction you are both currently live. (and there are no guarentees with that)

You need to watch she doesn't continue to move further and further away. That would prevent you from having a relationship with your child

The Witch

Remember . . . KARMA is a Wonderful Thing!!!!!

martune

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my inquiry.  It is a helpless feeling to watch someone recklessly go through life serving themself and not caring how their actions effect others around them.  

Lawmoe

Chances are that the facts you relate will not support a Motion to change physical custody.  There is no endangerment and unless you can somehow clearly indicate how the relocation is detrrimental to the child, you will be unable to rebut the legal presumption to maintain the current custodial arrangement.