Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Sep 19, 2024, 05:31:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Its finally over...Son and Dad are happy!!!

Started by maxwell, Jul 09, 2004, 06:59:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxwell

I won't go into all the details here but I joined this group about a year ago shortly before initiating action to obtain custody of my then ~3-month old son. He is now 17-months old and has been in my sole custody (with BM having supervised visitation that she exercised once for 2 hours) since March 14th.  With 4 Contempt charges and the trial looming over her head she signed my proposed agreement the night before court. The Judge stamped it at court on July 7th.

I get sole custody of my son, his surname will be changed very soon, I waive past child support, and future CS until her older son is of mature age (I don't need the $ but it good leverage in the future), she has supervised visitation until basically I see fit to allow her otherwise. She also has to undergo a Psych exam until I ever have to reconsider her having unsupervised visitation.  The visitation is as now, where we have to work it out, and she has to pay for any third party Nanny, etc. - up front.  She still owes the GAL a small amount even though she refused to meet with him.  My attorney said this may be better than we would have received in court so he is very happy also.

I am not sure if I will hear from her for a while (I am sure she is quite angry).  She is a classic 'user' of men, and a borderline who will probably never get help.   At 30 she has been married/divorced 3 times and has 3 chidren from 3 different fathers. She lost the first child in a custody suit for ~9 years after abandoning him at 1. The second father also pursued custody of his son and may again soon. She uses her children against the fathers to control and manipulate them.  She is truly very ill and I hope she gets help. (I was completely fooled and misled by her.)

The GAL recommended just what we asked for and is also weary of the investigation by DSS (BM refused to meet with the GAL).  DSS in SC has a poor reputation and I have written the director about my case and to see if they can look into the welfare of her other 2 children. (She had been in custody cases for them also.)

Anyway, thanks to all here for their advice and support.
   I wish you all luck in your quest to do the right thing.

speciallady

Congrats and woohoo for another child winning!!!

Kitty C.

I remember when you first got here and just how hard you fought for your son!  Congratulations!

ANOTHER CHILD WINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :D
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......

DecentDad

Man,

I remember your first post, and you're already done.  I'm three years into mine, and sometimes I've wished my high-functioning but damaged ex was over-the-line wacky.  ;)

You're to be commended for doing what it takes to put your son in the best possible situation, and to keep doors open if/when his mother finds a path toward health.

I recalled that you had moved across the country to be near him.  Will you be staying in the area?  Just curious.  It doesn't hurt for a single parent to surround a child with loving adults (i.e., your family).

Of course, I'm sure you're still processing what just happened, and how your future suddenly looks bright with freedom, possibilities, and opportunity for your son.

Congrats!

DD

maxwell

Thanks!
I am a bit surprised at how fast this happened also. But since I got sole custody at the 2nd temp hearing in March, my attorney thought we should just press forward rather then wait (and especially since BM refuses to meet with GAL).

After selling my home, moving cross-country to be with my son, I found (in 1 month) probably the best job I have ever had in a city I always wanted to be in, and now all this. I have alot of people to thank (especially family) for alot of prayers.  My immediate family is ~700 miles to the north (northeast) but now my job requires (at pretty much my discretion) for me to travel there occasionally (I can also work remote alot) which makes it perfect for my son to visit. Already we have made 5 trips up and more planned. (He even got to sit on the pilots lap for his first flight at 5 months old ;)

Peanutsdad

WoooHOOOOO!!

July 7th looks like a good day all around. Way to go !!

MYSONSDAD

This is great news! I remember when you first came here, too.
Congrats!

"Children learn what they live"

kiddosmom

I am very happy for you! There is hope out there everyone, you just have to keep fighting for the children to find it.