Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Jul 06, 2024, 05:33:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

In state and out of state support

Started by jmdent, Aug 16, 2004, 10:52:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmdent

Hello, I was hoping to get some advise about my current child support obligations. I have 2 children one lives out of state and the other lives in state with his mother my ex-wife. My oldest sons lives in NC and I currently pay child support and maintain health insurance for him. However because of our distance and my limited resources I rarely get to see him. My youngest recieves his support through a civil agreement my ex-wife and I created after our divorce several years ago. I wanted to know if I could have the child support for both my children administred by the courts of the state that I live in. The situation that I'm currently in has left me in financial ruins I pay well over 50 % of my gross income to support. I can hardly take care of myself. I have to boys that I want to support but by haveing to deal with two seperate women and a totally different state I feel as if I'm being treated unfairly. Please look at these figures and tell me what you think.

My first son age 7 lives in NC. I currently pay alittle over 400 monthly for him as well as carrying insurance which equals 260 monthly for the premium

My second son age 3 live with his mother here in GA, according to our civil agreement I pay 490.00 in support for him each month.

Combined I pay 1120 total monthly in direct support for my kids. which equals 13,440 yearly. My yearly pay is 29,824 gross. After living like this for the last two years I no longer feel that I'm being treated fairly. I have no desire to start a new family or anything I just want to get my CS worked out so I can try to be a better father. How can I be the best father I can be when I can hardly take care of myself.  

TGB

The rules for calculating child support are different in each state. Were both original support orders from GA?

Usually, the party wanting to change a support order is the one who has to deal with the other state.

See:

Maximum limits on child support
http://www.deltabravo.net/custody/max-cs.htm

THE FEDERAL CONSUMER CREDIT PROTECTION ACT AND GARNISHMENT FOR CHILD SUPPORT
http://www.childsupportguidelines.com/articles/art200110.html