Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Jun 22, 2024, 03:54:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Torrance Man Vows To Change Child Support Laws

Started by Brent, Mar 04, 2004, 09:43:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brent

Man Ordered To Support Child He Says Isn't His

POSTED: 5:16 pm PST March 2, 2004

LOS ANGELES -- A Torrance man ordered to pay support for a child he maintains is not his son said Tuesday he is a victim of paternity fraud and will not give up the fight to change the law.

Taron James, 34, says he has already given about $25,000 in child support to a woman for her 11-year-old son, a son he claims is not his.

The woman, whose name has not been made public, identified James as the baby's father in 1992, but the Gulf War veteran denied paternity.

The U.S. Navy vet admitted "a two-week fling" with the woman, but said it came a year before the child's birth.

"I don't know of any woman with that long a pregnancy," he said in a phone interview.

James tried to stop garnishment of his unemployment in a hearing before the California Unemployment Insurance Appeals Board, but administrative Judge Michael Kurz said he could not overturn a decision by the Child Support Services Department.

No one at the CSSD who was familiar with James' case could be reached.

Although Kurz denied James' request, the judge in his decision wrote, "the evidence is overwhelming that (James) is a victim of fraud instigated by the woman ... This is one of the most unjust results a judge could render, but based on the laws on the books in California, there is no discretion to hold otherwise."

(Ummmm, so I have to ask....WHY ISN'T SHE BEING PROSECUTED FOR FRAUD? Even the *judge* sees it, and says it's fraud. So why isn't she being charged with anything?   ...Brent)

Even after producing a DNA test and notarized testimony from the woman clearing him, courts refused to set aside judgments obtained against him by the Los Angeles County District Attorney and the Child Support Services Department.

James said that unless there was a legislative change, he could end up paying support until the boy is 23.

"I'm so knocked down, it's not funny," James said, but added that he is helping lead the charge for an Assembly bill that could help reduce paternity fraud by making it easier for men to use DNA evidence to clear up cases against them.

"I will get the laws changed somehow," he said.

James said his name was placed on the child's birth certificate without his consent while he was on his tour of duty, and said he thinks the woman's motivation was his military benefits.

"Her father was in the Navy years ago, and she knew about the benefits," he said. "Here I am in the Gulf War, and if I was killed, she could make a claim on a $200,000 life insurance policy on the child's behalf."

He said the judgments have left him with almost nothing and that they have cost him $50,000, including his $24,000 military college stipend, which he said expired because he has spent the last three years fighting the paternity suit.

http://www.nbc4.tv/news/2891653/detail.html

Peanutsdad

I have to wonder,, since the state is going along with this travesty, if they can held accountable in a suit.

This guy will go to jail if he doesnt pay,, and the woman will get off scot free for fraud?? Evidense is clear he has been damaged by this,, yet I'm willing to bet she walks on it.

Brent

Man Ordered To Support Child He Says Isn't His

POSTED: 5:16 pm PST March 2, 2004

LOS ANGELES -- A Torrance man ordered to pay support for a child he maintains is not his son said Tuesday he is a victim of paternity fraud and will not give up the fight to change the law.

Taron James, 34, says he has already given about $25,000 in child support to a woman for her 11-year-old son, a son he claims is not his.

The woman, whose name has not been made public, identified James as the baby's father in 1992, but the Gulf War veteran denied paternity.

The U.S. Navy vet admitted "a two-week fling" with the woman, but said it came a year before the child's birth.

"I don't know of any woman with that long a pregnancy," he said in a phone interview.

James tried to stop garnishment of his unemployment in a hearing before the California Unemployment Insurance Appeals Board, but administrative Judge Michael Kurz said he could not overturn a decision by the Child Support Services Department.

No one at the CSSD who was familiar with James' case could be reached.

Although Kurz denied James' request, the judge in his decision wrote, "the evidence is overwhelming that (James) is a victim of fraud instigated by the woman ... This is one of the most unjust results a judge could render, but based on the laws on the books in California, there is no discretion to hold otherwise."

(Ummmm, so I have to ask....WHY ISN'T SHE BEING PROSECUTED FOR FRAUD? Even the *judge* sees it, and says it's fraud. So why isn't she being charged with anything?   ...Brent)

Even after producing a DNA test and notarized testimony from the woman clearing him, courts refused to set aside judgments obtained against him by the Los Angeles County District Attorney and the Child Support Services Department.

James said that unless there was a legislative change, he could end up paying support until the boy is 23.

"I'm so knocked down, it's not funny," James said, but added that he is helping lead the charge for an Assembly bill that could help reduce paternity fraud by making it easier for men to use DNA evidence to clear up cases against them.

"I will get the laws changed somehow," he said.

James said his name was placed on the child's birth certificate without his consent while he was on his tour of duty, and said he thinks the woman's motivation was his military benefits.

"Her father was in the Navy years ago, and she knew about the benefits," he said. "Here I am in the Gulf War, and if I was killed, she could make a claim on a $200,000 life insurance policy on the child's behalf."

He said the judgments have left him with almost nothing and that they have cost him $50,000, including his $24,000 military college stipend, which he said expired because he has spent the last three years fighting the paternity suit.

http://www.nbc4.tv/news/2891653/detail.html

Peanutsdad

I have to wonder,, since the state is going along with this travesty, if they can held accountable in a suit.

This guy will go to jail if he doesnt pay,, and the woman will get off scot free for fraud?? Evidense is clear he has been damaged by this,, yet I'm willing to bet she walks on it.

StPaulieGirl

I saw this on Free Republic.  

Seeing that he's a "homeboy", I feel sorry for him.  I've dealt with this court on probate and conservatorship matters.  Family court is probably no better.

StPaulieGirl

Thank Gray Davis for shitcanning that assembly bill which would have made this situation nonexistent.