Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Sep 16, 2024, 01:33:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Just throwing this one out there...

Started by harlequin, Aug 19, 2004, 07:22:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harlequin

"Court Clinic" (in which I will apparently be required to prove that I'm a decent father)  just "feels" unconstitutional to me.

Or is that guy in Texas already doing this?

Peanutsdad

What feels unconstitutional about it?

In other words, you cant mount a constitutional challenge unless you can be specific on what consitutional laws are being violated . ;)

If you want to raise that issue, you have to do it IN that court, and you have to have a prepared brief outlining the challenge of the courts authority to hold  the action it's taking.

Now, of course, the court will deny your challenge and go ahead with their own agenda, thoroughly pissed off at you now,  and you will cough up the funds for a transcript and appeal and go from there.

There are several constitutional challenges goin on right now in several states. I havent heard of one winning yet. So, who knows,, perhaps you will be the one.

harlequin

It just feels like differential treatment under the law- like I have to prove that I'm deserving of having my son 50% of the time and the guy down the street who is still married doesn't have to, although he may be a lousy father.

But I think that's what the guy in Texas is doing anyway.  There are also some people in Canada trying something similar.

It's too bad when someone's attempt to stand up for their rights just pisses off the court.  You are right, of course.

I'm not desperate enough to mount a constitutional challenge- it just pisses me off.  I just want to spend time with my son.  I truly feel bad for people in states with worse precedents, but New Mexico is pretty father-friendly.  And I'm 52 and my son is 8, so I just want to spend time with my son.