Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 27, 2024, 11:21:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Meeting with FL House Vice-Chair of Committee on Healthy Families

Started by POC, Feb 19, 2007, 07:13:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

POC

Soc,

I'm scheduled to meet with the Vice-Chair of the FL Committee on Healthy Families to discuss substantial parenting time, and FL's child support guidelines. Ch 61.30 -- (11) (b) 10. of FL's statutes defines a substantial amount of parenting time as 146 or more overnights out of the year - http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0061/SEC30.HTM&Title=->2006->Ch0061->Section%2030#0061.30

Here is an excerpt of correspondence of mine with Rep. Thompson that led to the scheduling of our meeting -

"Dear Mr. POC,

I recognize there are needed improvements in our Family Court laws... I look forward to discussing these issues with you when we meet.

Sincerely,

Nick Thompson"

"Rep. Thompson:

I have three over riding beliefs that I also believe the vast majority of other Floridians would agree with:

1) Courts should not deny fit parents and their children substantial access to each other.
2) Child support guideline tables should be based upon reasonably up to date economic data, and that basing Florida's guideline tables upon data from 1972-73 unreasonably defies economic realities for children in today's society.
3) When a child spends just one day's difference out of an entire year at either parent's home, the child support guideline formula should not result in thousands of dollars difference in child support.

Sadly, those are merely beliefs. Reality for children in Florida is that judges routinely deny them substantial access to one of their fit parents, the economic basis to the child support guidelines is older than 13 current members of the House of Representatives, and an arbitrary threshold exists in the child support guideline formula that draws a line between fit parents, because thousands of dollars are at stake."

I am trying to limit the scope of my message to those three beliefs. However, I would appreciate it if you are able to lend any legal or personal insight that might better convey those beliefs and/or help compel Committee and Legislature to seek an equitable remedy.

I have wording for what I believe would be equitable remedies to the problems if/when that is requested of me. I am also prepared to contrast the results for children in joint custody to their counterparts in sole custody situations, as well supply USDHHS statistics about who the perpetrators of child abuse and murder have been. I believe that information speaks directly to the issue of the "best interests of children".

Questions:

1) Without running the risk of overwhelming the Vice-Chair with too much information, is there some glaring legal point(s) that I am missing? If so, what?
2) Do you have any other suggestions, ideas, or comments for my meeting that might help bring about more equitable laws to Florida's family laws?

If you need be to clarify any of my points I will.

Thanks,

POC

mistoffolees

NOT A LEGAL OPINION, but:

You state that #1 is merely a belief. While that's technically true, it's supported by volumes of evidence that kids do much better when both parents are involved (assuming that both parents are decent human beings, of course). You might want to emphasize that #1 is for the child's benefit and supported by massive evidence rather than labeling it 'merely' a belief.

I would personally reword it to something like: "1) Children have the greatest chance of developing and growing into responsbile, healthy adults if both parents are substantially involved in their care". That seems to me to be a much stronger argument than simply saying that Floridians believe that parents should be involved.

Good luck.

FLMom

POC,

I am absolutely 100% behind what you are trying to achieve. If there's any help that you need, such as clerical work or research, please feel free to PM me for further contact. I live in Tallahassee, which may also help.

Sincerely,
FLMom

socrateaser

If I were trying to convince a legislator that more is better, I would bring some stats supporting my position, and, polling info showing that a majoity of the voters agree.

Politicians are moved by two things votes, and money. So, if you represent a PAC or have access to campaign dollars, then this too could be useful.