Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 28, 2024, 10:22:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

trying to do the right thing - need help!!!!!!!!!!

Started by mule, Feb 11, 2004, 04:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mule

I have a situation where the mother of my child keeps moving from state to state. However she doesn't inform the state that she is moving. She just opens cases when she moves to the state. I am now receiving request for payments or attempts to garnish my wages. I have spoken with the state agencies by phone and letter but I am always told that if the mother does not inform them of address change there is nothing they can do. I have also hired an attorney but the problem is that they do not have jurisdiction of that state. I have no idea what to do.....if you have experienced this or have a suggestion please help. I am even trying to use my veteran's resources, so far no luck

Thanks

MixedBag

Take a step back -- before you get mad at all these state agencies and think about what they said "If mom doesn't tell them she moved and is filing all over the place" how are they supposed to know?  They do have a point, you know.

Veteran's resources won't help.  They have no clue.

Step one is to figure out jurisidiction.

Where did the original order come from?  

And do YOU still live there?

Get real acquainted with whomever has jurisdiction now.  

Mom has to live in a new state for over 6 months for that state to really be able to accept jurisdiction AND you have to move from the original state.

From what the folks in AL here told me, if I want a change, I file with AL, who goes to my EX's state, and then it gets calculated in HIS location.  If he wants a change, he files in his state and then it comes here to AL where I live.  That's how CS works.

For other issues (like contempt for no visitation), AL has jurisdiction because I filed it here after moving here after 6 months and neither one of us live in the original jurisdiction.

If you want an attorney, hire one where jurisdiction is and only send certified or priority confirmed delivered letters.  Keep notes and names of everyone you speak to including WHEN (date and time).

If she's moving around and doing this -- they'll see through it.  It might take time, but they will see through it.