Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 28, 2024, 07:26:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ex is pregnant...

Started by dcurtain, Feb 25, 2004, 06:30:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dcurtain

Situation: Judge signed and entered the judgement on 2/10/2004. All is well on that front. I have not yet received word from my attorney that is is done. I called the courthouse last week and inquired on the status (is how I found out 2/10). I received a call from my ex night before last..she's pregnant. No way in you know where that the baby is mine. The child belongs to the 'friend'.  Based on when she said her due date is (July), the baby was conceived in November...our 'last / final' court date was October 9. Being that I have not yet received a copy of the final decree, she is still on my health insurance. I called and spoke to a rep from my benefits department and found that she will be dropped from my insurance retroactive to the date of the judgment being signed. Her problem...  

My problem - at least I think it may be - she told me she'll be filing for public assistance, as she is not planning on marrying the guy but will have the child. I'm concerned that once she files for assistance that my C/S will sky rocket. Of course, I have no problem paying for my children..but can I be forced to pay for the other child in this event? Thoughts?

We're in Michigan...

Thanks in advance!

-d

jilly

I don't see how you can be made to pay for a child that's not yours. If she tries to force the issue you could always request a paternity test, which will come back negative. You could also state in your request for a paternity test that your ex has a "friend" that could also be the father. That way a paternity test is done on both of you and when it comes up that the "friend" is the father then he's the one on the hook for child support.  Good luck!

wendl

When I became pg with my son I got laid off work and had to go on public assistance, this is what happened, they asked me to write down all the men I slept with in a certain time frame, then they found him and he was court ordered for a paternity test. He was found 99% to be the father, so they filed orders for CS, he was to pay xx amount per month, I received a total of $50 due and the rest went to the state since they were supporting me. Hw had to pay the state back for the paternity test as well.

Then he had 4 more kids, in my cs order they dont take the other kids into consideration in determing sons cs that his dad must pay.  You can call your local sc office and ask how they do it in your state.