Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Jun 21, 2024, 01:35:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What about her income?

Started by pax, May 05, 2004, 02:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pax

BF & I are expecting our first child together in October. BF has 1yr old w/exGF who has not asked for child support until she found out we are pregnant! She claims that if he wants this to go to court, he will have to pay support going back to day their daughter was born. Admittedly, BF has not had much contact w/daughter but that is what GF wanted and now he will pursue visitation for sure if he's going to pay support.

ExGF makes more $$ than BF but also claims her income is not a factor in support decisions in IL, that he has to pay 20% of net income plus half of what she pays for daycare. She said he is lucky she already has baby on her medical & is not "coming after" him for that. [???!!!]

Is this all true? I won't get into the gory details but she got pregnant after they broke up & were together only once after. He didn't want her to have this baby - she did anyway & wouldn't even talk to him while she was pregnant. I'm not saying he shouldn't take care of his responsibilities, but to make him pay for back to a year that he didn't even see the baby & she didn't ask for support & worst of all wouldn't even talk to him when he tried to call after the baby was born - how can he be held responsible for THAT? Was he supposed to force $$ on her? And why is his income the basis & hers not even a factor?

Sorry, this just seems so unfair. Money is really tight for us as it is & we are expecting & planning a wedding & she comes out of the woodwork like this. Anyone know if she has her story straight?

richiejay

>BF & I are expecting our first child together in October. BF
>has 1yr old w/exGF who has not asked for child support until
>she found out we are pregnant! She claims that if he wants
>this to go to court, he will have to pay support going back to
>day their daughter was born. Admittedly, BF has not had much
>contact w/daughter but that is what GF wanted and now he will
>pursue visitation for sure if he's going to pay support.
>
>ExGF makes more $$ than BF but also claims her income is not a
>factor in support decisions in IL, that he has to pay 20% of
>net income plus half of what she pays for daycare. She said he
>is lucky she already has baby on her medical & is not "coming
>after" him for that. [???!!!]
>
>Is this all true? I won't get into the gory details but she
>got pregnant after they broke up & were together only once
>after. He didn't want her to have this baby - she did anyway &
>wouldn't even talk to him while she was pregnant. I'm not
>saying he shouldn't take care of his responsibilities, but to
>make him pay for back to a year that he didn't even see the
>baby & she didn't ask for support & worst of all wouldn't even
>talk to him when he tried to call after the baby was born -
>how can he be held responsible for THAT? Was he supposed to
>force $$ on her? And why is his income the basis & hers not
>even a factor?
>
>Sorry, this just seems so unfair. Money is really tight for us
>as it is & we are expecting & planning a wedding & she comes
>out of the woodwork like this. Anyone know if she has her
>story straight?

Wondering why he didn't "pursue visitation" when no money was being exchanged?

pax

Look, I'm not trying to make excuses for that mistake. His exGF is psycho & wouldn't even talk to him when she was pregnant or take his phone calls.

I don't think that has any bearing on my inquiry.

richiejay

>Look, I'm not trying to make excuses for that mistake. His
>exGF is psycho & wouldn't even talk to him when she was
>pregnant or take his phone calls.
>
>I don't think that has any bearing on my inquiry.

Pardon my French, but bullshit! People on this site would give their right arm to get to be in their kids lives and you're telling me that because he has to pay support only THEN will he be a part of his own child's life?  Sorry, you won't get any sympathy from me.  And to answer your question, yes, he will probably have to pay back support, and the mother's income is figured into it (although I'm not sure about your state).  

Sherry1

in Illinois CS is based on the NCP's income, 20% for one child, her income does not factor into the equation.  Here is the link:

http://www.divorcenet.com/il/ilfaq-07.html