Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 27, 2024, 02:15:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

When 2 states say you owe for 1 child.

Started by bunnyfoo98, Dec 15, 2004, 06:17:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bunnyfoo98

My husband fathered a child (his daughter) 8  years ago while in the military stationed in Hawaii. This women this woman was 15 years older than my husband who was in his teens at the time. She filed for childsupport in Arizona however, Hawaii was the one collecting. Once he got out of the military, he moved back to Washington... Arizonia began collecting support through as well.

Now, both Arizona and Hawaii are keeping child child support case open.. we get notices from Hawaii saying my husband has NEVER paid and now owes over 15K or more. My husband has made payments to Arizona we have only fallen behind in the last year but still make partials.

DH has asked the BM to contact Hawaii and stop that account but she refuses (she is evil) We do not send money to Hawaii as the child lives in ARizona. THe case in Hawaii needs to be closed.. but when DH tries they give him the run around and act like he is some kind of deadbeat trying to avoid payment. I am fearful that Hawaii will eventually do something drastic to try to collect.. We have tried to tell Arizona to please send Hawaii something to stop their case.. but they don't. "its not their problem" according to the caseworker.

Child support enforcement agencies treat the dads like they are criminals.. or they will eventual make criminals out of them. Well thats been our experience. Hawaii wont listen to us... DH has given up.. Everything we do  doesn't work... Washington state DCS is killing us for child number 2, ... its not fair to be recieving notices everymonth from 3 diff states for 2 kids!  

Stepmom0418

Hi!

This is the first idea that popped into my head when I read your post above. Have you tried to send a letter to the Hawaii agency?? If not try sending a letter certified with return reciept. Along with the letter I would send a copy of your payment record for the AZ case and a copy of the order in AZ. Tell Hawaii that you expect for them to correct the mistake and make sure to mention the hardship that this mistake has been causing you and your family.

Keep a copy of the letter for your records and be sure and send it certified with return reciept so that you can prove that they recieved the letter.

Keep on them and don't give up!

One question I got for you is .........Did the mother ever recieve state assistance in Hawaii?? Could she be collecting in more than one state?? I have seen that happen and the states dont even know it. Do some checking on all of this and see what you can find out.

MixedBag

1.  start quoting them the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction Act....

from //www.deltabravo.net/custody/uccja.htm

2.  start sending every single letter via certified mail or priority confirmed delivery so they can't say "Geez, I never got it."

3.  keep detailed accurate documentation of everything you send everyone.

ASK Arizona to send you a statement as to the current status of Child Support Payments on the child.  (It will show that you've paid over the years and are currently a bit behind, right?)

Then take that statement and send it to Hawaii showing them that Arizon is following the order and demand that their case be closed.

Follow it up the "chain of command" until it all gets worked out.

Take names and numbers of all people you speak with -- but I'd recommend doing everything in writing since when you talk to them on the phone, they have short term (or none whatsoever) memory.

Good luck!

bunnyfoo98

thanks to you both... I will admit.. We have only made phone calls with absolutely no results.

We are paying support out of our finacial aid (our moneys we get to pay expenses for school). I believe he isn't that far behind in payements as he has only made partials just this last year, (up to date prior to that)

So the first thing we will do is get a report from AZ of payment history. then send copies to Hawaii

I feel like such a newbie... I am kinda kicking myself in the butt for not being more informed... sometimes it just feels like these support enforcement agencies are like some giant monster that chews you up.... especially when you try to talk to them... you are immediatly the criminal

jilly

"sometimes it just feels like these support enforcement agencies are like some giant monster that chews you up.... especially when you try to talk to them... you are immediatly the criminal"

You hit the nail right on the head!

Stepmom0418

Please dont forget to send everything certified with return reciept!! That way they cant say they never recieved anything!

Good Luck to you and dont give up!! Keep trying!

raf

Hello,

You have to understand that  states get federal money for every dollar in CS they collect. Therefore, each state is very reluctant to give up their gravy train.

We had the same problem with 2 states. You basically have to be a broken record and never give in to them.

The advice about going up the chain of command is right on.

One peon told us: "Even if you can show me every check and I agree with you that you never missed a payment, I still have to go by what is on the computer screen"!!!!!

After that comment, we went right to her supervisor who straightened everything out.

Good Luck!