Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 27, 2024, 10:57:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Increasing Child Support

Started by Devoted Stepdad, Apr 16, 2005, 04:29:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devoted Stepdad

My wife has a child from a previous relationship and he has not been involved much.  We have asked the Los Angeles County Child Support Services Department to modify the order to increase child support as he is making about $30,000 more annually that when the original support amount was ordered.  This was at the advise of an attorney as there was no charge to us however she cautioned it would take longer.

Unfortunately, this service has claimed the father is in arrears even though there is a wage assignment order in place and we have regularly received the checks.  Interestingly, when we received his notice of going to court, we realized he was in arrears as he never paid a court order of about $1,000.00 that was to be paid at $50.00 a month.  None the less, Child Support Services seemed to have created more problems than when we started, so we are questioning whether to continue with them or get an attorney.

My questions are:

Should we continue with Child Support Services or just get an attorney?

Will Child Support Services represent us in court or do they just do the paperwork?

Will Child Support Services act on our behalf should the father want custody?  (We would agree but only under court appointed supervision and other issues would need to be worked out)

What are the odds our support will go down even though his salary has gone up?

Is my salary included in determining support amounts?

thanks

KAT

My questions are:

Should we continue with Child Support Services or just get an attorney?

Your WIFE will get what she pays for....CSE is free, so nuff said.

Will Child Support Services represent us in court or do they just do the paperwork?

Your WIFE will be represented.

Will Child Support Services act on our behalf should the father want custody? (We would agree but only under court appointed supervision and other issues would need to be worked out)

NO, they only represent your WIFE for the bucks that is all. A custody battle will cost your WIFE tens of thousands of dollars. Probably a retainer of 5k just to start. Doesn't matter what your WIFE agrees to or not, both the biological parents will be at the mercy of the judge who each have their own individual agendas. The court isn't going to award supervised visitation without clear & convincing evidence that man is a danger to his child(ren). Frankly your wife wouldn't be the first person to file for more money then get hit with a long, drawn out and highly emotional custody battle. So get 30 bucks a week, potentially spend 30k...sometimes it's best to just let sleeping dog lie. Trust me, I went 13 years a 18.00 a week for a reason.

What are the odds our support will go down even though his salary has gone up?

Don't know, has your wife's salary gone up? CA uses a digomaster or something like that. Plug in the numbers. Just in case you will ask this question: YES, it is highly likely your wifes income will be imputed to what she could be making if she was working a full 40 hour week in her current field of employment & according to her education level.

Is my salary included in determining support amounts?

Only in rare cases. In most of those rare cases the spouse is a multi-millionaire...don't think you'd be here if you were that lucky unless you were really, really cheap!!

KAT

KAT

PS;
  Your wife can always contact her ex & work out a settlement agreement that is comfortable for the both of them. It will need to notorized by both & then submitted to the courts for the judges signature in order to become a court order. Yes, if he agrees, it really is that simple. It saves money and time for everyone.

KAT

reagantrooper

Why stop at a small increase.

You should try to take all of his $$$$ because we all know it goes to support his child! RIGHT! and WTF does he need any money for?

The money that your wife gets for "child support" would never go towards other kids, you, new car, toys or anything else! RIGHT!!

It all goes to the support of his child! RIGHT!!

FREE MONEY IS GREAT ISNT IT?

KAT

TAX FREE MONEY!! Dad has to pay taxes on it but MOM gets it for free! Plus I bet she gets the tax deduction too...probably doesn't work but hey, it's perfectly fine that she doesn't financially support the children simply because she has ownership of them. Something is seriously wrong with the system!

KAT

Devoted Stepdad

Devoted Stepdad

I can appreciate your comments, however I've been down the path of family law and I presently pay nearly $16,000 a year and I don't make as much as the bio father.  He is making $100,000 and support was based on $60,000. It's simply economics here and raising a child is expensive.

The increase is substanical otherwise we would not have risked going to court.

thanks for your comments

Devoted Stepdad

Please see my reply to reagantrooper

thanks

KAT

Listen, it wasn't that we (at least myself) was bitching at you personally but more in general. It's just very common to see the cp constantly asking for increasing so that ncp can never can anywhere. I'm sorry that you have to pay so much involuntary servitude & that is what we are fighting for  ..to change the antiquated laws that strip parents of the children, that force children to grow up with only one parent, that force one parent to be nothing more then a visitor & a wallet. I'm sorry but it doesn't help to have your wife suck every single last dime from biodad. Don't you know how that feels yourself???? Are you just asking for an increase to help makeup for the expensive child support you have to pay? Two wrongs don't make a right either... But hey that's my silly thoughts!! If things don't change your sons could end up in the same position as your are...visitor & a wallet. Is that what you want?
KAT