Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 28, 2024, 12:27:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Does this sound accurate? Determining CS

Started by Happyno, Nov 30, 2005, 03:52:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happyno

How does the court determine the amount of child support to be paid?
Child support is calculated based on the incomes of the two parties. You can refer to the table below to find the amount to be allocated for your child(ren) each year. Briefly, the first step is to figure out the percentage of income earned per year by the parent who will be paying support; then apply that percentage to the amount of support. For example, if the two parents have equal incomes of $15,000 per year, for a joint annual income of $30,000 and they have one child, the annual support is $5,377.00. The parent paying child support would pay fifty percent of the annual support, since s/he earned fifty percent of the income. Fifty percent of $5,377.00 is $2,688.50. A regular amount of child support is then deducted each payday from the payor's paycheck. In this example, if the payor is paid once each month, one-twelfth of $2,688.50 would be withheld from his or her paycheck, i.e. $224.05. These guidelines are an important starting point, but courts frequently deviate from them, depending on the circumstances of the parties.

Happyno

We have one child living with us and she has the other.  Can anyone tell me how they figured the amount for cs in your case or someone you might know?

snapplegirl69

From what I have heard,since both parties have a child,no cs exchanges hands.It depends on the judge

Ref

1. It is a wash - like snapple said

2. Calculate CS as if you were the CP of 1 child. Then calculate it as though the other parent was the CP of 1 child and see what the difference is. If your CS obligation is higher by $50/month, that should be all you pay.

Good luck
Ref

4honor

both boys were teenagers.

My brother was a VP of a major bank.
His ex was a part time school bus driver.

My brother paid considerable support for the one at his ex's home... but it was still not quite half of what he would have paid if he did not have one of the boys. (BTW, he avoided post-secondary educational support for the older by having that son until after he was 18... then BM couldn't file for support -- believe me she tried.)

You figure what each  parent's percentage is.

Then you figure what she pays him (amount X) and then what he pays her (amount Y) if X is higher than Y she pays him the difference. If Y is higher than X, he pays her the difference. If it is the same, it is a wash.
A true soldier fights, not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves whats behind him...dear parents, please remember not to continue to fight because you hate your ex, but because you love your children.

MixedBag

Because your example has both parents earning the same amount of income, child support becomes a wash.

If the income is not the same from each parent, you figure it out for Dad being the CP of one child and what mom's obligation would be.

Then you figure out what it would be for Mom being the CP of one child and what Dad's obligation would be.

Then the difference is paid to the parent whose obligation is lower (who basically has the lower income).

DH's state only uses the NCP's income and that's what they did when he had custody of one and mom the rest.