Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 27, 2024, 12:38:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Medical Bills

Started by Ref, Feb 17, 2007, 04:43:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ref

BM emailed DH that SD is on BC pills for medical reasons. It is acceptable. DH has to pay 100% of medical bills. She suggested that he simply send her the $15/month instead of her submitting a reciept.

He is very uncomfortable with this because of past "medical" issues that required on going care. When DH told her that they were not reasonable and he wasn't paying, this "necessary" care was stopped. Prior she asked him to just send an extra $100/month because that is how much it costs and that she wasn't going to send him a receipt. Turns out the medical care was therapy in the office that she works in....

She has been fairly decent to DH and he doesn't want to disrupt the balance, but he really doesn't trust her with this.

Any suggestions? I was thinking that he could say he needs it for his tax papers and ask her to fax them instead (so she doesn't need to worry about mailing).

Ref

mistoffolees

Absolutely. I would completely refuse to pay without getting the receipts.

If she wants her money, gathering receipts isn't that big a deal.

I'm not sure I'd offer any excuses (the issue is whether he should pay without documentation, so why drag other issues into the subject? That only confuses issues). If you do, taxes is one justification and flexible spending accounts (if he has them) is another.

MixedBag

I (always) agree with asking for a copy of the receipts.

Taxes are a good reason because if he itemizes, he will need proof.

$15 should be equivalent to the co-pay for perscriptions under his plan.

Another simple way around depending on her is to call the pharmacy and ask them for a copy of the detailed history of all of the daughter's perscriptions.  Maybe the report is called something else, but tell them you need a print out of the expenses for insurance purposes.

I used to have to manually file with the secondary company (Tri-Care) and they needed to know details.  Then I'd get the co-pays down from the first insurance to $3.

If you know the pharmacy's name then you can get that information by calling them.  You might have to prove who you are and stuff, but that's the easy part.

mistoffolees

Yes, the NCP can get the information, but why should he?

The CP wants to be reimbursed, so it's only reasonable for her to provide the receipts.

Ref

BM, after 13 years of trying to keephim out of SD's life and no communication about school or medical, is finally doing what she is supposed to. She has called him to vent about SD behavior, grades, to talk about her medical etc... I know it could change in an instant with her, but we would very much like to keep this communication up with her.

Trying to not take an obvious hard-line is what we are trying to avoid. That is why I was trying to think of some excuse to give BM that gives her the impression that he is not trying to give her a hard time, but he has no real choice.

Thanks for all your help
Ref

Pixie

One thing that you COULD do, is go into the pharmacy yourself and buy 6 months supply for her at once, and you pay for it. ;)

Ref

can't do it becaus eof distance and insurance issues. I wish we could but things are a bit too complicated.

Thanks though
Ref

Sunshine1

You can callthe pharmacy for a print out of all the prescriptions she has had.  I have to do this because keeping a receipt in this house is a freaking miracle.

I have to submit the receipt to CS because BF refuses to pay anything to me directly and wants me to pay for it first and then have it taken out of his check after 3 months at 3.00 a month until it is paid off....nice.

But long story short.  You will also know if she is getting the prescriptions regularly or not too.  I would use the "for tax purposes" reason.  

MixedBag

that's what I was trying to say....

Just ask which pharmacy she used.

Or start calling around to the obvious ones.

My EX used Walmart.....and then for one switched to another one, but I found it anyway even when he didn't tell me nothing.

Worth it in the end....