Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 27, 2024, 03:07:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Enrolled full time and in good standing

Started by Ref, May 19, 2008, 10:30:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ref

We are counting down the final year for DH to pay CS. Unfortunately, his CS agreement says that he has to pay until she turns 18 or graduates HS, whichever comes last, up until she is 19. We always thought DH would pay until she was a little over 18 because of the timing of her b-day. Now we are concerned that she will be in school for another year. She doesn't go to class often (She has missed at least 20 classes in the math class she is getting an F in). She is bombing a few of her classes. I am guessing she will squeek by, but I am not feeling confident. She may have to retake a couple classes after all her friends graduate.

Anyway, there is wording in his agreement that she must be enrolled in HS full-time and in good standing in order to require DH to continue paying. Any idea what that means? What is full-time vs. part-time high school? What is good standing?

Thanks
Ref

Kitty C.

You might want to look up the actual statute in the state the order is filed in.  In IA, CS can be paid to an adult child through college, BUT.....the CS goes directly to the child AND the child must maintain a certain grade point average.  I would equate the specific grade point average to 'good standing'.  But if there's nothing specific on the state guidelines, it's a crap shoot.  You might want to contact her HS to find out if she's doing summer school and if THEY will classify her as full time or part-time if she continues in school after her class has graduated.  

In fact, I would go by the recommendation of the school for both definitions.  But if the BM wants to fight is, the school will have to have someone testify to that.  Good luck in that, as most don't like to get in the middle of these disputes.
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......

MixedBag

That's gonna be defined by the County's Board of Education's school system -- or maybe even at the high school level.

Full time?  Hard to say for us out here because there are different academic plans or course loads for different high schools.  For example, in WV, they take 5/6/7 courses and that course lasts the entire year.  HERE they take 4 block courses in the fall and then totally switch to 4 block classes in the spring.  they finish a course over a semester instead of a year.  

Good standing?  Again, it's defined by the school system.  In Universities, you should find a page in the university's catalog that defines "academic standings" and they may have different criteria for the different colleges within the university (like Engineering might be higher than Social Sciences -- not knocking either field).

Contact the school.

Good standing will be based probably on her overall GPA -- as opposed to flunking a few classes her senior year and therefore NOT passing the right classes and therefore not meeting the graduation requirements.