Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

May 28, 2024, 07:56:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Child Support & Emancipation

Started by FLYERS1202, Feb 17, 2006, 08:08:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic


I have a question consisting of two parts as well as a comment regarding child support and emancipation. I am a divorced father residing in DE and two children who also reside in the same state. Thier mother has custody however my kids live across the street from the mother at her father's house. My son is 16 1/2 years old, has been arrested a few times already, has been expelled from school numerous times as well as being dismissed from night school due to poor attendance. He did obtain a job which he held for about 1 1/2 months while he wasn't in school. He hasn't been enrolled in any school since 11/05 and recently was fired from his job. What does it take to have a child that is over 16 and residing in DE that is not in school emancipated? It is apparent that the mother does not have any control over my son's future but still expects her child support every month for a child who is not in school, does not have a job and has had run ins with the law due to lack of discipline amongst other things. Is there a way I can go through Family Court in DE and have this done without retaining a lawyer? I saw one late last year and it sounds very costly to say the least. My comment is, why are woman allowed to obtain increases in their child support when the father's income increases but when the situation is reversed and perhaps the father is involved in a down-sizing and is forced to take a lower paying job, he is still obligated to pay the original amount of child support that was determined by the court? Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. My goal is to get the right help for my son so he can be something positive. I can see if my ex has a reduction in child support due to this emancipation, perhaps she would decide to do something positive for my son.