Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 29, 2024, 08:53:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Moving To North Carolina Help PLEASE!

Started by hypnotist, Aug 26, 2007, 09:17:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hypnotist

My ex-wife notified me of her intent to move to Belmont, NC with our daughter about 18 months ago.  I have 50/50 parenting, and I did not agree to her move.  This past January the court ordered that she was not allowed to move and take my daughter with her.  Since then she has filed 3 other petitions trying to be allowed to move to NC with my daughter.  This constant conflict is getting expensive, and it is not good for my daughter either.   She is stuck in the middle.

Well, my lawyer made a suggestion that I followed through with.  Since I am self employed I am pretty flexible as to where I am able to live and work.  What I did was to present 2 parenting plans, one that will be in effect once she moves to NC with our daughter, and one that will kick in if and when I move to NC to be closer to my daughter.  

I put together a proposal and had my lawyer present it to her lawyer.  She fought every point at first, but in the end I have actually come out even better than had she accepted the original proposal.

So, I am now in a situation where moving to the Belmont, NC area as soon as possible will be the best thing for me and my daughter.  My ex is moving there today, August 27th, and the sooner I can get moved into the area the better it will be.  My ex cannot petition the court to change the order for 6 months from the time she moves to NC, and the sooner I can get there, and the longer we are living under the parenting plan that is set up for if and when I move before she is able to file, the harder it will be for her to get it changed in NC courts.  At least that's the way I see it.  If her only reason to change the plan is because she's not happy with what she agreed to prior to moving, and if the plan has been working fine for 4 or 5 months already, it would seem to me that a judge would probably leave it in place rather than change it.  At least I hope so.

At any rate, I am planning to move to the Belmont, NC area to be closer to my daughter, so that I can get back to the 50/50 parenting that I have had here until their move.

Can anyone in the Belmont, NC or surrounding area possibly give me some guidance as to moving there, please?  I have never been to the area  before.  At least not any closer than Gastonia, and I was only there once a couple years ago for a few hours.

Any information about the area, places to live especially, would be so helpful.  I'll be looking for a 2 or 3 bedroom place to live, and I am not very picky at all.  Apartment, rental house, rental mobile home would all be great.  The less expensive, the better.  

I currently live in a mobile home that I plan to either sell or have moved down there, but I have heard that moving it is costly and can be complicated.  If/when I sell my mobile home I should have $15,000 or so to use toward a new place to live, but for now I am just looking for something that will get me by, so I can officially move there.

ANY suggestions, ideas, thoughts, tips, etc. would be GREATLY appreciated!
I'll be going to Belmont this Friday for the first time, and I'll probably start with the local newspaper, but I'm not sure what I'll do from there.

Thanks,
Jay