Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 19, 2024, 10:05:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Signing over rights

Started by Audraleigh, Mar 21, 2006, 12:26:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Audraleigh

My fiance has been battling with his ex wife forever now over custody issues and money issues.  
As much as he doesnt want to... he thinks it may be in the best interest of the child to sign over his rights.  What are the steps for this... and will he still pay child support?

patton

I've done a lot of research on this.  I've also talked to a lot of people in Texas on this.

There are several things that are considered.

NO 1 Is it in the Best Interest of the Child?  Reason here would be parent in jail for drugs for years, sexual abuse, child endangerment.  I'm sure you get the picture here on this.  Can you actually support the child without help?  Who would the child live with if something happened to you?

NO 2 The age of the child, how long has the other parent been in the child's life?  Is the child a baby still (less than 2 years old) and other parent has never seen or had anything to do with the child?  Is someone else willing to adopt the child, so the child would not be parentless if something were to happen?

BM in my case wants to sign over her parental rights so she won't have to pay child support or medical support.  I don't think a Judge will go for this and neither does the psychologist that I've spoken with.  BM also still wants her family to be able to see child.  I can't see at this point with child being over 5 years old that this would be in the child's best interest.  The child does see her and the family at least once a month, so all of a sudden him not seeing his family would in my opinion harm him to some extent.

lost child

As a Father i also want to sign my rights away. I have had 2 cotact visits once when my Daughter was 1 month old and at 2 months. THats it . I tryed to see my child in Nov.2007 but when i refussed to give money to the mother she went totally crazy. The sad thing  is she was already getting child support from me. I drove 9 hours for nothing and alot of wasted gas.