Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 29, 2024, 04:54:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Parental Emancipation Over 18?

Started by maidmarion622, Jan 11, 2004, 06:03:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maidmarion622

I am a college student, 19 years old, whose parents have asked that she leave the house.  They are no longer supporting me in any way, including funding my education.  Nevertheless, I am having trouble getting financial aide because of my parents high income.  I've been told I need to file for emancipation from my parents in order to receive the financial aide I need.  Is this true, and if so, how I would I go about that?  Further, are there any laws requiring my parents to fund my education even though I am not dependent on them for my basic needs?  I would appreciate any kind of advice or references on this subject.  Thanks very much!

amanda

I was asked to leave home at 18, and was told by financial aide office that all I would have to do to prove I didn't rely on parents income was to bring in my bills that are in my name, and to show my car and ins. was listed under my name also.
HTH!

Family_Rights_WV

Apparently the person(s) you have spoken with in the financial aid office are giving you some incorrect information/the run around.

According to this sparc site http://www.deltabravo.net/cgi-bin/resource.cgi?state=wv the age of emancipation in WV is 18.

"West Virginia   when child turns 18, or if child is in high school, when child turns 20 or graduates, whichever is first"  

Apparently, at least according to the above-listed info.,  once a child reaches the age of 18 in WV, the parents are no longer obligated to support the child.  

So, you should not have to become "emancipated" from your parents to receive financial aid, as under WV state code, you have apparently reached the "age of majority", i.e., are now legally considered an "adult".

Probably the real gist of this situation is that it is probably too late to apply for financial aid (grants) for the 2005-2006 school year, but you still might be able to get a loan for the 05-06 term.  Then you could apply for grants and other financial aid in 2006 (start checking into it now  and start applying very early in the year after jan 1 2006 for the 2006-2007 term)

Here is a link with some info on financial aid (including low interest college loans)

http://www.newstribune.info/college_bound

If you cannot arrange for a school loan for the 05-06 term, Consider working for a year, saving your money and start applying for financial aid (grants/work study) very early in 2006 for the 2006-2007 term.  The more money you would be able to save toward college expenses, the better off you'll be.

Gather up proof that you are supporting yourself, pay stubs, income tax returns, rent receipts, bills in your name, etc. and keep copies as proof for when you apply for financial aid.

Be aware that if your parents financially support you up to a certain amount each year, they are entitled to claim you as a dependent on their income tax returns.  And if they do that, the financial aid office may be in the right to demand info on your parent's income in order to determine how much financial aid they will grant you.

You may have to work while attending college to make ends meet.  Apply for "work study" programs at the school you want to attend.  You may have to "go up the ladder" in the financial aid office (that is, speak to supervisors) to get some real help with financial aid or put your requests/inquiries in writing.

Good luck,
christi

>I am a college student, 19 years old, whose parents have
>asked that she leave the house.  They are no longer supporting
>me in any way, including funding my education.  Nevertheless,
>I am having trouble getting financial aide because of my
>parents high income.  I've been told I need to file for
>emancipation from my parents in order to receive the financial
>aide I need.  Is this true, and if so, how I would I go about
>that?  Further, are there any laws requiring my parents to
>fund my education even though I am not dependent on them for
>my basic needs?  I would appreciate any kind of advice or
>references on this subject.  Thanks very much!

audustdix

Yeah they are entitled to claim you as a dependent on their income tax returns.

MixedBag

The WV Code and Federal Laws do not coincide....actually NONE of the family codes vs. federal laws work together well.  Let's take it one step futher -- when they ask for parent's income, it's from whomever supported you mainly when you were at home which CAN actually be a step-parent......

I've got 4 older girls who have gone to college -- some mine, some were steps....and here's what I suggest.

Fill out your FAFSA and do the best that you can.

THEN Write a letter to the financial aid officer and show them bills, copy of driver's license, rental contract, and stuff like that and ask for an exception to the normal rule because you are independent.

Then work with the financial aid office and see what happens.