Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 28, 2024, 11:33:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Question on my childrens safety

Started by herbie2005, Jun 14, 2005, 08:18:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

herbie2005

My children are continuously getting injured by stray cats at their mother's home. THere are several cats from the street staying in the home.
We have joint custody at this time (the mother has physical and I have visitation) and I have reported it to DSS several times.
They basically tell me that there is nothing that they can do.
I feel that this is significant and the injuries keep happening on their faces. THey are leaving scars and are very close to their eyes. Not to mention stray cats are probably not "healthy" animals.
THis is just one example of some concerns I have for their safety while in their mothers home.
I have just started to read this website and was hopeful that you may be able to guide me somewhat.
I am feeling very discouraged and I can no longer see my children getting hurt. What is considered "significant" enough before someone will step in?

I appreciate your time

joni

DSS are morons...consider the source...you have to be smarter and more resourceful than they are.

so...here you go....

how are you documenting these injuries?  have you taken the children to the doctor?

PEDIATRICIAN
if you have or you should go to the doctor at the next occurrence, take ALL of the children, complain to the doctor (not in front of the kids, before the appt) about the childrens' injuries and these dangerous animals, have the children be honest with the doctor and tell stories about what the cats do to them (you'll have your 3rd party witness and objective documentation with this).  talk to the doctor before he sees the children, give him the background and stress your concern for their safety.  have the doctor ask the questions about the animal in a non intimidating manner so the children will be honest about their incidents.

then have the doctor test your children for toxoplasmosis.  this is a parasite found in cat feces.  your children can be exposed to this either from touching the feces or IF THE CAT SCRATCHES THEM.

this will be an objective medical test to show that they've been exposed to feral cats.  nearly all feral cats have this parasite just from being outside.

PLASTIC SURGEON
if you really are worried about the scars and seeing how they're so close to the eye, take them to a plastic surgeon, especially if you have a daughter.  there's nothing they'll do now but again, it'll document your concern and the injuries for family court.  another objective 3rd party.  realistically, the scars will fade to white after a year and there are procedures to reduce the appearance of the scars (dermabrasion, chemical peels) but most plastic surgeons will wait until the children are teenagers to treat this because teenagers are more compliant than kids with recovery and care more about their looks.

now, you have evidence to take before a family judge about the health and welfare of your children.  don't waste your time with DSS anymore.  ask the judge for custody of the children.  I'm sure this isn't the only thing you're worried about with regards to your children....otherwise you wouldn't be on this board.

then try animal welfare, report dangerous animals in the household.  if she's a crazy cat lady with alot of cats, it could constitute an "illegal" shelter and AW will confisgate the kitties from the household.  if she's not being clean with the animals either, they'll take the animals for the same reason.

NOW...not to freak you out but this parasite is potentially dangerous in children.  granted, it's not epidemic...but it is an issue you can raise for physical custody

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=1&cat=1359&articleid=770

http://kidshealth.org/parent/infections/parasitic/toxoplasmosis.html

herbie2005

Thank You so much for getting back to me. I am so frustrated with the system and I just want my sons in a safe and loving environment. It just feels that Fathers have less rights.

At this point I have taken many pictures of the injuries, contacted my lawyer and DSS MULTIPLE times. I have started to request talking to supervisors because I am not getting anywhere.

I get my children tomorrow am and plan on taking them to their doctor as a next step.

Again, Thanks for the advise......I just feel so alone with this and it nice to have some people out there who can give me good honest advice.

WHy cant the world just be fair and have the kids BEST interest at hand?

Herbie

MYSONSDAD

Our son was scratched by a cat a few months ago and contracted cat scratch fever. Not a serious condition, but why have him go thru it at all. The scar on his eye lid is very noticeable, 4 months later.

I have the medical receipts and perscriptions he was on. Just one more thing where she continues to ignore his well being. You should see the vicious dog he has for a playmate.