Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 30, 2024, 02:54:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

newborn name change

Started by larry, Sep 30, 2005, 07:04:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

larry

I was married to  woman for 6 months and divorced and we have one girl 6 years old.  I have a newborn by her and want this baby to have my last name and she is refusing to put it on the birth certificate.  Before I get a lawyer is it possible to force the name change?  I read on a Texas website this : Absent agreement of the parties, it is generally not possible to change the names of the children.   I know the lawyer will charge me and tell me I can, even though it is a slim chance.  So if it is a good chance I want to try.  Any help is appreciated
larry

Zuntzu

Has a paternity test been performed?
Is she leaving the "father" section of the Birth Certificate blank?

And sorry to pry, but if you folks were married, divorced, with one 6 year old already...what on earth were you thinking to have another child with her?

larry

We are not disputing paternity.  We both know the baby is mine.  She is leaving the "father" section blank and is giving the baby her last name.   Long story and the baby wasn't planned either.
Larry

4honor

is the lab tech who does the paternity tests... If a woman is sexually active with one man outside of marriage, it ia equally as likely that she was sexually active with more than one (50/50 shot). Get a paternity test done for the protection of this child and of you.

Later when BM is mad at you and hollering that aren't really this child's father you will know it is because she has become unstable, not because the child may not be yours... and what if on the one chance in a thousand this baby is not yours? Do you want to find out in an emergency situation when the child needs a morrow donor or something equally as serious? What if you are not. Do you want to pay for a child that is not yours and sacrifice the one child that is yours for one that might not be?

Women refuse to put a man on the birth certificate for three reasons: 1) they do not know for sure who the father is, 2) they know who he is but they are so bitter, they would rather hurt the father by refusing to place his name on the birth certificate, or 3) they are setting the father up as an abuser (real or imagined) and are attempting to keep him out of the child's life. You are screwed no matter which is her mind set. Take the test. Why not in this day and age? Women do not seem to know that conception to birth is 40 weeks -- not just 9 months (closer to 10) and many do not know they were already pregnant when they slept with their last partner. Get the DNA test before you get any further.

You had no real commitment to this woman at the time of conception and therefore, she had none to you. She would know whether there is a remote chance, but YOU cannot know without the test. Tell her you do not want to hear that someone can take this child from you later on down the road... that you have to be as sure as you can get. That you mean no disrespect to her character and her reputation, but you weren't with her 24/7 so you can't know for sure.

When you have the results of this test, THEN you can go into court and have your name placed onthe birth certificate... but you can't force your last name on a child born out of wedlock (Divorced at conception, right?).

BTW... just because you didn't plan the baby, doesn't mean she didn't plan the baby.

As my father used to always say, the only one who knows they are getting laid tonight is a woman.

A true soldier fights, not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves whats behind him...dear parents, please remember not to continue to fight because you hate your ex, but because you love your children.

MYSONSDAD

TGB's Links Pages - TEXAS
Links and resources for the State of Texas.
URL: http://www.deltabravo.net/custody/tgbtx.htm - size 4kb - 24 Oct 2003

"Children learn what they live"