Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 27, 2024, 11:14:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Counseling

Started by kaylene99, Jul 18, 2006, 12:10:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kitty C.

DS was initially involved in the clinical trials for tomoxetine (Strattera), but the beauty of this specific drug is that it is NOT listed as a C2 (controlled substance) drug.  Unfortunately, I had to take DS off the study, as I believe he either was getting a placebo or a dosage that was nowhere near effective for him and his grades were suffering.

DS started with Ritalin, switched to Concerta, and we're now on Adderall.  He's had the best coverage with Adderall and, during school, he was taking the short-acting in the morning and long-acting at noon to last him thru the school day and to help him after school as well.

I've always trusted DS's reactions and feelings about the drugs and dosages he's been on.  He described coming off the Ritalin and Concerta as 'falling off a cliff' (one minute on, next minute off) and coming off the Adderall as 'rolling down a hill'.  But every child is different and each will react differently.  But at least it helps him to think before he acts or speaks, something he practically has no control over without the medication.

One thing to always remember with these ADHD drugs:  there is NO build-up of the drug in the system.  They are extremely short-acting drugs and once they 'wear off', tox screens have proven that there is no trace of the drug in the body.  I recently was told by a 'supposed' professional medical doctor associated with a juvenile detention facility that they often take kids off ADHD drugs to 'detox' them.  This guy was just a GP and didn't have a clue as to what he was talking about.  Once a child exhibits ADHD symptoms and taking a dose, it's a ''guarantee' that there are no drugs on board.
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......

stepmom23

My SS, who is now 11, was diagnosed at age 8 as ADHD-inattentive type.  His diagnosis was from a pediatric neurologist, but he's never had a single session with a psychologist or psychiatrist in these 3 years.  

DH and I have not noticed a difference in much of anything since he's been on medication - off and on between Concerta and Adderall XR, but mostly Adderall.  His grades have improved, but how does one know if it's due to maturity and not the medication?  He's still the same fearful, low self-esteem child he was before the medication.  DH and I think he needs intense counseling (hears voices, associates death and mayhem with everything, acts much younger than his age, demonstrates ticcing, etc.) for a proper diagnosis, but BM will hear nothing of it.  Right after he was diagnosed ADHD and was with us for summer visitation, we had him do a session with an Occupational Therapist friend of ours.  She saw signs of sensory integration issues and low core muscle strength - both signs of other developmental issues.  BM  poo-poo'd it all because the woman is not a 'certified doctor', and never investigated any further; and she's also said that no child of hers is going to see a shrink.

So as this child grows older, he also grows more neurotic and fearful.   What a great adult he will make.  Makes me sad, really sad.