Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 28, 2024, 09:44:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

unmarried father seeking advice on custody and visitation

Started by Brian, Aug 05, 2006, 01:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Im lookin for free information on my rights as a unmarried father. Im just getting started in a child support case. I had been caring for the child an the mother for the past five years. She left the home an moved in to another mans home. Also doesnt want me to see the child until i give her some money or go to court over the matter. Please help me get some info. So i dont feel so lost in my options at this time!!!!!!
                                                                     Thank You,
                                                                      Brian

ocean

Did she file for child support already? If she did, you can counter-sue for visitation. If she did not, you can start a case. You "can" do it yourself at your local court house BUT the first set of papers you get are usually VERY hard to change so if you can get a lawyer you should.
Child support usually gets taken from your paycheck and sent to your state. The state then sends it to the mother. There is a formula you can do to see about how much it will be. Each state is different but there are child support calculators on-line for most states. Daycare and health are added to child support.
Visitation is a bit more complicated. You should fight to get HALF the time if you can manage it. Many pepple have the every other weekend and one day during the week. Holidays/birthdays should be included and summers. Remember what will happen when child hits school age. There are MANY examples on this site or you can ask some of us what you are thinking. She can not withold visitation due to money BUT you will probably go to court over it. Once you get orders, if she does not follow them, then you can bring her back to court on contempt charges....
How old is child and what state?
Good luck!

Emma

Send her a letter stating that you would like to see child on X date at X time and if that is not possible, to contact you to make arrangements. That in itself isn't going to make her let you see child, BUT it will show the court that you have tried to be reasonable and made repeated attempts to try and see child. Keep sending requests for time (obviously keep a copy!)  This helped us immensely when we were in court.

Courts don't like seeing $ and getting to see the kid tied together- I can't imagine that's gonna fare well for her!