Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 28, 2024, 07:39:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

No rights to my kids

Started by mr.dad, Dec 11, 2006, 01:18:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr.dad

My name is Milton. I am the father of two wonderful children. About four months ago I left my wife because our marriage wasn't working out, however, I had to leave my children too. Now she will not allow me to see my children. When we were together I was an at-home dad. I did all the things that a houseperson would do--including caring for the children. I was the primary caregiver of those children. It is hard for me to get use to not seeing my kids everyday. The idea of not seeing them at all is even more difficult to accept. My brothers tell me that the court system ALWAYS work in the good of the woman, but I have decided to explore whatever few options there are for me. Any advice I can receive would be very helpful. What should I do? Please advise.

Ref

First thing is to find a good family law attorney preferably one with fathers rights experience. I think it is awful that people say that dads have no rights in court. It is simply not true. They have to work harder and come better prepared, but it isn't even close to the truth that the kids are defaulted to the moms.

Now that it has been several months since you were the primary caregiver, you may have severely hurt your chances of getting primary custody. It is not futile though.

Like I said, first get an attorney and fast. Please don't skimp on this. This is a huge mistake that my Dh and many on this board did and it caused much more expense in the future.

Also, contact your kids often. Call them, write them, send them packages. Contact their school and talk to their teachers. Visit the school, so they get to know you. Document every single thing.

Contact your ex by certified mail stating that you would like to see the kids for the weekend and ask her to respond by a certain time. Detail when and where the pick-up and drop-off should be. Try making it at a convience store and go in and buy a pack of gum as evidence that you were there when you said. Bring a witness if you can.

The key is to Document Document Document!!!

Eventually, you should organize your info (letters sent & received) in a 3 ring binder. Also, on a spiral notepad keep a log of every phone call made and received with dates with a summary.

Please ask lots of questions here. This site is a life-saver!

Ref

BetterFuture4Kids

Unless there is some reason why you can't, I would go back to the house.  If you were the stay-at-home dad, it is in your best interests (and the kid's best interests) for you to live with them and continue to be their primary caregiver.  I would also get a good lawyer ASAP.  Good luck!

Bolivar

You need to move back into the house. - NOW!!!!!!!!!!!

Never, ever leave the Residents.  Courts view that as abandoning the children.  As the primary caregiver to your children you will be doubled slapped.

That is the way the courts view it.

Of course if you where the primary caregiver how could you walk away from the house to leave Mom to work and take care of the children?  Good – God – Man what the hell is going through your head?

I am not gender bias – I would view a woman who was the primary caregiver who walked away from the house  and leaving Dad to work and take care of the children the same way.

There is way more to your story – or you are very irresponsible to the children and Mom.

JMHO