Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 28, 2024, 10:12:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What will happen to the baby?

Started by emmy72, Jan 21, 2004, 04:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emmy72

If anyone can help with some info or advice, it would be greatly appreciated.  My best friend's nephew (5 months old) was removed from the house of his mother.  CPS removed him for neglect.  She is an admitted addict and tested hot after the baby's removal.  The baby's grandmother fought for guardianship and CPS finally turned the baby over to her while they pursue their case against the mother.  My friend just informed me that CPS had told her mother that if the baby's mother loses her parental rights to the baby, so does the grandmother and aunt...who are 2 family members capable of raising the child.  My question is, if the mother loses the baby, will my friend and her mother also lose the possibility of raising the child?  Will they actually take the baby from the WHOLE family and put him into foster care?  They would like to know if it would be possible for the sister the give up parental rights and the grandmother adopt while the CPS case is still unfolding?  Any advice or info would be truly appreciated.  All people involved reside in Texas.  Thank you in advance.

Peanutsdad

I have to ask,, where is babydaddy?????

CPS in Texas can and does remove a child from a family if they feel its in the childs best interest,, but like all child agencies, they also make monumental blunders.

I know,, testified in too many cases here in Texas.

NoNicky

If the mother's rights are terminated they will put the child up for adoption and none of the family will be told the whereabouts.  What can be done those is for one of them to step up to the plate now.  Start talking with the CPS and asking them for custody now.  It will mean that the daughter will not be allowed to visit, etc.  CPS will sometimes oppose a grandparents request for custody for fear that person will let an unfit parent back into the life of the child.  It is not impossible though.  My mil and sil are jointly raising a bil's children.   They were several states away when we got wind of him abusing the children.  He finally admitted CPS had taken them.  The whole family started calling CPS and explained that we would gladly take the children and none of us had any problems denying him access to them.  We were appalled when we learned how he had been behaving.  The children had to spend about 6 months in a foster home while investigations into my mil's house were completed.  This was a transfer from AL to OH.  

My personal suggestion is that someone grandma, aunt, other family member get an attorney now and see about filing for custody now, but continue to work with CPS.  Make sure they know beyond a shadow of a doubt that they want the child and are willing to do whatever it takes to see the child receives proper care.

emmy72

Very disturbing situation...the BM being an addict doesn't even know who the father is.  Could be one of several guys, and probably some she doesn't even know.  CPS has already removed the baby and in my oppinion saved his life by doing so.  After several weeks in foster care, the grandmother was granted guardianship and has been caring for the baby, but was told that if his mother loses parental rights, so will she, and his aunt.  They put up a strong fight to get him the first time and are afraid they will lose him again.

emmy72

Thanx for the info....that's what they were wondering was if they could file for custody while CPS was on the case.  The baby had been in foster care for several weeks and then CPS placed the child in grandma's home for care....so there is a start, but they did not know if they could file for custody around CPS or if they had to wait until CPS did what they were going to do and THEN fight.  Neither of them have a problem keeping the BM out of their life.  I will sure let her know...thanx again.

NoNicky

I just know what was done in the case of my niece and nephew.  My mil and fil kept CPS informed every step of the way and CPS actually helped them gain custody without the need for an attorney at all.  It made CPS's job easier and certainly made it easier on my in-laws.

For God has not given a spirit of fear; but of power and of love and of a sound mind.  1 Peter 1:6