Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 27, 2024, 01:59:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Need some advice

Started by feelinhoppy, Mar 29, 2004, 07:42:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

feelinhoppy

I have some friends that reccomended this site that have gotten very useful infomation, my question is
My granddaughter's father is a deadbeat who moved 12 states away 1 week after she was born.  My daughter is raising her all by herself.  Recently we have discussed "what would happen" (we had a scare) if somthing happened to her (my daughter) of course she wants the baby to live with my husband and myself.  Several people have mentioned to me that even if it is put in a will a child is not personal property and cannot be willed to someone that this "father" can just come and take her even if he has not been a part of her life at all or paid any child support? If this is true would anyone advise filing to get his parental rights terminated? I mean what rights, he dont visit or pay child support so how hard can it be? right? This is in Nevada, any suggestions

wendl

I  would probably seek advice from an attorney on this one. Make sure to document that lack of interest on the other parents part.

feelinhoppy

I believe what we want to do is called terminate parental rights of the father, he has no interest and no contact (by his own choice) in a year.  I beleive that Nevada is one of the states that will terminate/relinquish parental rights..I'm just not sure what it is called to get the forms from the self-help center...

wendl

you can post to Soc and ask him, my ex didn't see or talk to our son in over a year, but I am not worried about it cuz he has no interest in seeing him so I am not wasting my time to take him to court to stop his parental rights.

you can do a search "terminating parental rights" I found some info and it basically said I could go to court to terminate based on the evidence I have.

Good luck

Peanutsdad

And if that doesnt work,, eat more chocolate Wendl ;)

wendl

hehe I love chocolate especially in icecream hmmmm peanut butter chocolate ice cream hmmm dang getting hungry now.

feelinhoppy

Thanks so much for the information, I believe that I will post to Soc, but I have to do it carfully, I have to read the guidelines again lol Ive seen people that have gotten "yelled" at for not following them and I have a tendency to babble! thanks again...........