Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 28, 2024, 03:31:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Role of documentation - please advise

Started by teffy19712, Jun 25, 2004, 03:02:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

teffy19712

My DH is planning on going for custody if we are able to get rid of this Order of Protection (long story) my question here is - how does documentation play a role??

I have kept a journal  (diary style) since DH and I got together last February. I have documented most major events - until about September its not real detailed but did include outbursts by Momster in front of the children and things of that nature. Since Sept. we have done as much communicating with schools, counselors and others via fax or email to keep a record and show our involvement. I use the tracker and even now that visits are supervised I still document the exact amount of time we are with the kids - (its supervised by DH's parents and we are not with the boys the entire weekend - we would have to stay with his parents - but he does spend about 8 hours each day with them). Even before it was supervised they still spent a large amount of time with DH's parents - the only way they got to see the boys was on DH's time. I have kept detailed phone logs, and we got cell phones to keep even more detailed phone logs of how often DH talks to Momster and schools and such.

We know Momster is building a case to say that since I came along DH ignores the boys and wont talk to her. We have a zillion pictures of family outings with the boys as well as I chronicle all our activities in a journal - even trips to the mall - yes, I am that anal - lol.

We also save all voice mails and emails from Momster. Granted her and I have engaged in email wars from time to time so this wont make me smell like roses either - but I know that and still kept them.

How will all this play a role in a custody battle - or will it. Every site stresses the need to document - so I have tons of it. Our attorney makes fun of all the shit I kept - but I just didnt know was was important and what wasnt.  

How about pictures and home videos?? We have lots of pictures - only a few videos - the oldest child will say he hates us and we ignore him or whatever - but I have tons of pictures and video that says different.

We know Momster also keeps all emails but other than that we do not know how organized she has been or what she keeps.  Any time she has made any allegation about neglect or abuse I am sure to chronicle exactly what she said and then chronicle how the incident actually happened.

Am I overworking the documentation thing?????

Any thoughts would be appreciated!!

Steph

Forthelittleones

Otherwise Soc wont respond.  Facts first followed by numbered questions.

Good luck!

teffy19712

Wasnt looking for Soc to answer - I was just looking for other parents that have done the custody thing and what they had in terms of documentation - all legal questions I pose to our attorney.

Thanks.

Peanutsdad

We ALWAYS stress documentation.

Ok, now,, think about what kind of documentation IS admissible in court as evidense: Police records, psych reports, hospital records, testimony from professionals, ect, ect.

Diaries and other nonadmissible records are good for one thing,, but it IS important: Keeping an accurate timeline and providing you with "notes" to use from the stand when giving testimony.