Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 29, 2024, 07:46:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Finally had court date!

Started by Beantowngal, Jan 13, 2012, 05:45:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beantowngal

After two postponements we finally had our first pretrial for our contempt charge against grandchilds's mother.  The magistrate thinks we should adopt the local rule as our agreement.  We wanted that originally, but mom would not agree.  This would give us more time.  Four weeks in the summer opposed to two, an evening every week, and some holidays.  We get no holidays now.  This child and the child we have custody of(different mothers) would have more time together. Their father, who had custody of both children, passed 18 months ago.  I think this would be good for the kids.  Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

New issue...we do not see any report cards from the non-custodial grandchild.  I did see an interim report in a book he brought over.  It made me sick, Mostly DS, a couple of Fs. He had been an honor roll student.  Today we had a 2 hourschool delay. He did not go to school because mom had to go to work and could not take him.  We have offered to pick him up or take him anytime.  Mom thought it was better he miss school than ask for help.  Very concerned about his progress.  He is early middle school.  I know gal told us last year, that is an area looked at very closely.  No longer have gal, so attorney isn't sure how we can get school info since we are only grandparents.  Any thoughts??

Thank you for help and support.   I don't want it like this, and it does not have to be like this. My son would hate this.....I have recently went to the cemetery and gave him hell for dying!  Yep, a little crazy ;)

ocean

Ask for that to be added to the order "grandparents will have access to school records and online passwords to follow children's progress". If you are going back, ask lawyer how you can get child's attendance/reportcard records legally from school to see how many days he has missed so far and grades for court.
You can try to call the school and ask for the social worker/guidance counselor and see how far you get. Sometimes they will talk more than they are supposed to but really you have no rights to those records unless you have a court order.
Did you make copy of that progress report? Use that for the reason that you have concerns with school grades and attendance.