Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 28, 2024, 11:02:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

SIL needs help!

Started by Nextmother, Jun 28, 2014, 07:16:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nextmother

Hey everyone! It has been a really long time since I was here, but I find that we need your help again. My ODD married about a year and a half ago and her DH has 3 children from a previous marriage. The BM and kids live in SD, we are now in MI.

We found out a couple of weeks ago that BM and her DH had split up, but today we find out that she has left SIL's kids with her soon to be ex while she is in a hotel. This man has already tried to convince SIL to sign off on the kids so he can adopt them, but of course SIL said no.

We don't have much money, can't afford a lawyer at the moment, and I am not sure how to proceed. It would be nice if we could file with the court here, but I doubt we can do that. Any help would be appreciated.

Next

ocean

Does the bio dad have any court orders now? When was the last time he saw kids?

You would file in the last court that gave our orders, probably by kids. You can may be able to find the papers on line. You can call a lawyer near kids and have them file or call the clerks office and ask where to send in papers yourself for a court date.

What is bio mom stance on all of this? Is her plan to get back kids after she gets in a new place? If so, then courts will prob understand that. Ask mom, to go get kids and send to dad (or dad go get them) for a few weeks until she is back on her feet?

Will mom agree to let dad have kids? If not, then you can get a lawyer to file emergency paperwork (ex parte) for emergency custody as mom has left kids. Out of state, will be some work to do so if mom is willing to help will be a lot easier and courts do not need to get involved.

Nextmother

The only court order in place is the CS order. He has not seen the kids in about 3 years due to interference by the BM. She goes through phases where she will allow contact/visits and then refuses again for long periods of time. From what BM posted on Facebook, she plans to get her own place and get the kids back, but she has these 3, plus 3 more with the SF, so a total of 6 kids. That many kids and a limited income may make it harder to find a place that is adequate for all of them.

From what we have been told, the youngest doesn't even know that SIL is his father. We have found out that there was at least one incident of abuse by BM that CPS got involved in and threatened to take the kids from her, but she managed to keep them, that was a couple of years ago.

SIL has never really had a stable situation till now. Working for minimum wage makes it really hard to afford an attorney, but now he has DH and I to help also since he and ODD live with us.

We did find an attorney that looks like they may be reasonable for him to work with, so he is going to call her tomorrow.