Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Sep 20, 2024, 08:22:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ex is trying to move away with daughter

Started by roark, May 07, 2007, 06:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roark

I've been divorced for a year and have 50.1% custody of my 5-year old daughter.  My ex moved 200 miles away to finish grad school and was supposed to move back at the completion of her school (per agreement in our divorce decree and parenting plan).  Technically I have 1/2 time visitation until she moves within 20 miles of my home city but next year my daughter begins school and cannot continue living in two places.  

My ex just notified me that she intends to stay where she is and is planning on taking our daughter to live with her.  How do I keep this from happening, can I gain primary custody and give her a stable life and how do I keep from going bankrupt in the process?  I spent almost $30,000 getting to this point and now it seems like I have to do everything all over again.

I'd be happy with my ex moving back and holding up to the previous plan but if she isn't coming back I cannot imagine not being in my daughters life on a regular basis.

I live in Washington State.  Any advice would be massively appreciated.

John-J-Jay

I know exactly how you feel. Actually I've been in your shoes before. My daughter was 2 when my ex moved to another state 600 miles away. My child is now 10 and I'm in a legal battle right now trying to get my ex to pay child support. With both  you and I being a dad I think actually I know, you should fight for all your rights. Don't worry about the financial side of this because it's the greatest investment you could ever get as a return. Seeing your child grow up, healthy, happy and learning what's right and wrong under your direction means more than anything. If you want to talk more send me your email address and I'd be happy to talk to you about my past experiences over the last 8 yrs

mistoffolees

You need to start by clarifying exactly what your court order says. First you say you have 50.1% custody (which isn't very meaningful) and then ask if you can gain primary custody.

Specifics:
Who has legal custody (it will be you, her, or joint - no percentages)?

What does the order say (exactly) about physical custody?

How many nights did the child spend with you over the past year?

Are you living in the same location as at the time of the divorce?

With answers to those questions, it will be easier to give you advice.