Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 28, 2024, 12:46:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Travel Time

Started by redheadh20, Oct 21, 2007, 11:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redheadh20

I recently went to court with my ex-girl friend and won a nice visitation schedule hands down as the judge appealed my efforts and called her controlling among other things

She has appealed the order on the basis that it is not in the best mental health of the child. This is based on the travel time between our residences (3 hours. The judge order that we meet halfway) Until the first birthday I drive the entire way to there house for my visits.

Does anyone have any answers or resources on "the best mental interst of the child" and the effect of travel time on children?

Thanks

mistoffolees

Lots of kids travel much further than that.

How long do you have them? If it's 3 hours of travel time to spend 2 hours with you, I'd say it's extreme. If it's 3 hours of travel time to spend the weekend with you, it's not at all unusual.

If she's going to claim that it's not in the 'best mental interest of the child' (which sounds suspiciously like she made the term up or read it in a book), it's up to her to prove it. She'll need psychologists to explain exactly why that's the case. You can provide extensive articles from this site about why it's been shown repeatedly that the best interests of the child include regular and frequent contacts with BOTH parents.

MixedBag

mist is fairly right.

Not sure that she can add evidence though when she appeals.

Not an attorney, o.k.?

From what I understand, when you appeal, you have to show that the court erred in it's decision based on other court decisions not by giving additional evidence to the court.  

redheadh20

When it starts that she must meet me halfway (at 1 year) I will be getting from Friday at4 til sunday at 4.

Ref

Only from my extensive experience watching court TV. I think she is just blowing smoke.

Sure it is not idea for your kid, but neither is living in a "broken home".

Best wishes
Ref