Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 01:30:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

How to answer questions in court

Started by sadieanders, May 20, 2008, 07:24:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sadieanders

When his attorney is asking me questions do I fully explain everything or do I answer with just a yes or no. I will want to tell the whole story because I'm sure he will turn things around falsely.

gemini3

I have always read that you answer yes or no questions with a simple "yes" or "no", and don't give any extra information.  You can shoot yourself in the foot that way.  

Lawyers are experts at twisting what you say around.  So if it's yes or no - answer just that.  If it's a "What would you...?"  "What do you think..?" be as clear and concise as possible, and just answer exactly what you were asked.  If you feel that the attorney is twisting what you say around, you can turn to the judge and say "Your honor, I feel that the intention of what I said has been misunderstood.  What I'm trying to say is...."  No one will have a problem with that.

Your attorney can try to 'clean up' after you've been questioned by his attorney if there are misunderstandings.

buckhntr

By giving too much information you open yourself up to further questions by your remarks.  You may lead the opposing atty into areas you do not want questioned. So if it is opposing council asking the question just give him what he asks and nothing more.   On the other hand you should tell your story when being questioned by your own attorney.