Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 27, 2024, 01:09:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

How is summer normally split?

Started by IceMountain, Mar 22, 2006, 08:52:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IceMountain

I have 6 weeks visitation with my son in the summer.  I also have EOW and shared holidays.  My ex-wife and I live 4 hours apart.  We share transportation.

How likely am I to get summer visitation increased to 10 weeks?  This would leave 2 weeks vacation and EOW with his mom.

All opinions welcome.

notnew

You don't say what kind of custody (joint, etc.) you have or what your reasoning is for asking for additional time. My experience shows that to get things changed, you must have a really good reason or the courts usually won't consider it.

Personally, speaking from one who has only two weeks each summer, EOW and shared holidays (rotated every year) that do NOT include Memorial or Labor day weekends, I have to say that IMHO - 6 weeks is GREAT. I'd love to have more time with my daughter, but unless I am able to convince the Court that custody needs to be transferred this time, the chances are very slim.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying you shouldn't get more time, just saying that the Court doesn't make these types of changes easy if they allow them at all. More information may help out some more.

Good luck!

MixedBag

by proving to the court that it's in the best interest of the child to increase time with you.

I had a good reason back in 2001/2002 and got denied becasue (IMHO) I failed to bring in expert testimony to support my reason.

Once the original divorce sets the time, it's difficult to get any increases or changes unless the situation goes from "local" to long distance.

IMHO...of course

IceMountain

When my ex and I were divorced we lived in the same city.  Since then we have both moved.  

We share joint legal custody.

Ref

all but the first two weeks and the last week of the summer.

We have long distance visitation so instead of EOW we have EO holiday and the majority of the summer.

I'm not sure why the court allowed it to change. We really had no other reason besides BM refused anything over 2 weeks in the summer and SD was older.

Good Luck
Ref

wendl

Do the kids go back to moms EOW when its your time in the summer???

If so ask for 6 uninterupted weeks in the summer.

our has been, one year dad has them the 1st half then  the next year he has them the 2nd 1/2 of the summer. No exchanges on weekends during summer visits.

**These are my opinions, they are not legal advice**

wysiwyg

1/2 the summer for each parent.  We also are to observe each holiday per the parenting plan, thus we schedule our time over our holidays and hers on hers.  This way wach parent gets their half.  In 12 and under there is a midweek time the alternate parent can see their chld, but for teens and above it is not necessary.