Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 28, 2024, 04:32:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

No access to kids' counselor

Started by benferno, Sep 27, 2006, 12:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benferno

I am a non-custodial parent. My kids have recently started at a new school and I made an appointment to meet and speak with their new guidance counselor. After barely beginning our conversation, the principal came and ordered the counselor to not say another word and that our conversation was completely over. The principal stated that the children's mother had sent court papers showing that she had primary residential custody, and that the mother has forbidden all contact between me (the father) and the children's teachers and guidance counselor. The principle stated that all I'm allowed access to are written school records. I was told that this is not true and i have federally protected rights to interact with the childrens' teachers and counselors'

Question: What is the statute that protects my rights to speak to the kids' teachers and counselors?

ocean

What does your papers say about legal custody? You have the right to the school records under the law. I do not think it covers talking to the teachers...(but I could be wrong). Ask Soc on the other board.

notnew

Does your order specifically say you have rights to the school records and to be involved with the kids?

Also, do you have joint custody with her having residential?

I believe the principal is in the wrong. Posting to dear socrateaser is a must.

Also, if you have joint, then mother is stomping on your toes and violating the shared parenting aspect of joint custody which is a no no and you may be able to call her to task in court over this one.

What types of papers did she produce and WHAT did she say to principal to get such a reaction?

She sounds like a psycho case. I hate people who do this to the other parent and damn the school systems that participate in this garbage!

reagantrooper

Ya know I guess a teacher can choose to talk to you or not. But I know in my state if you have JLC then you have ALL rights and duties as if you are the CP with regards to DRs, Schools, counslers etc etc etc.

I had an issue simular to your years ago with my Sons school and a Fing BM that acted like an ass.

I took a copy of the written law conserning this issue with me to the school, parked my ass outside the principles office untill he would hear me out and read the papers I brought for him. After that day I recieved regular contact and updates with all of the teaches and the princible. You have to stand your ground on issues like this.

Good luck!!