Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 27, 2024, 04:28:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Intercepting Mail

Started by MixedBag, Jan 22, 2004, 12:02:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MixedBag

If a parent intercepts mail sent to a minor child, isn't this against the law?

And if so, which law?  

And who presses charges?

socrateaser

>If a parent intercepts mail sent to a minor child, isn't this
>against the law?

Not if the parent is acting as custodian to protect the child. However, if the parent is intercepting mail to frustrate your access, that would be contempt.

There is no crime in your hypothetical.

socrateaser

>If a parent intercepts mail sent to a minor child, isn't this
>against the law?

Not if the parent is acting as custodian to protect the child. However, if the parent is intercepting mail to frustrate your access, that would be contempt.

There is no crime in your hypothetical.

MixedBag

The BM intercepts because my handwriting is on the outside of the envelope.  There is no protection order in place -- but then again, I'm step-mom.

Considering her past behavior, the second part applies in that she intercepts mail to frustrate access to the child, then again, I'm step-mom and I have no rights to access, right?

The latest envelope contained pictures from our family vacation over Christmas.  I guess I just wish she would grow up.

Thanks!!!

Kitty C.

I do the envelopes on my printer, then it looks more 'genuine' or 'official' and less likely to be messed with........  
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......

MixedBag

I printed off a full page of address labels for SS -- with the wrong stupid box number on it.  I'm not even sure if he got anything I ever sent using them and didn't realize my mistake until one came back "undeliverable" -- THEN it dawned on me.

Never said I was perfect.

Funny thing is that Step-dad remembers a "thick envelope" from out here coming in and told SS -- that had our pictures in it -- but it never got passed on to SS.   So SS knows what's going on and needs to learn to deal with it.

We shall see -- bet in the next day or so, he gets his mail.

MYSONSDAD

Can you send things registered mail? Make him the only one who can sign for it.

"Children learn what they live"

MixedBag

If he was 16 and had his own car, I would tend to agree with your question as a possible solution.

But he's 10/11 ... so, I don't think that's a good suggestion right now.

As a CP, I wouldn't want to be taking my girls to the P.O. to sign for something -- then again, I've never intercepted any mail from my EXs to the kids.

Usually I send stuff "Priority Confirmed Delivery" because the EXs complain about how inconvenient it is to go to the post office and SIGN for something.  First class mail has a tendency to "get lost".....  So priority confirmed delivery is a good compromise because they can't say "it got lost" when the Post Office can confirm they delivered it.

Forthelittleones

We do the delivery confirm thing too and this is what SD said to us recently -

Mommy says that the post man lied - he did not give her anything and you did not mail it.  I want my stuff - please mail it to me

MixedBag

I guess that might be next for us.

JenG99

One thing you can do is send little gifts with your notes such as CD's, DVD's, gift certificates certified mail (green receipt). If the children do not receive these things keep all receipts for all purchases. Over time let these things accumulate. File a civil suit in small claims for all items intercepted. You will win a judgement and the BM will be forced to give the notes and gifts to the children or pay up in civil court.