Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Sep 28, 2024, 07:16:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Future Newborn in Ohio

Started by lilrhino, Jul 15, 2004, 12:07:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lilrhino

A brief and general overview of my problem:
  In Jan. 03, my longtime friend of 29 years invited me to Ohio to live w/ her and 7 year old daughter so I could attend college.
  In Mid May she found out she was pregnant and we agreed to be married on May 29th. Up until then we were a nice little family with the daughter calling me daddy and anticipating the Jan. due date of her brother or sister.
  Within one month, my wife went from " I love you, but I can not show effection." to " I dont love you and dont want to be maried to you." to " I dont love you, dont want to be married to you, and I need you to leave." She claimed stress health problems for her and the baby, so I had to leave. Since I had no family, nor any money, I had to borrow some money and return to the Tampa, Fl. area.
  My concerns are:
                1. She refuses to have contact w/ me. ( is that legal?)
                2. She still smokes and undereats. I'm concerned for the baby's health
                3. Since she has not, and will not change to her married name, can she name the baby's last name @ birth to her last name she carry's now? ( which is her ex husbands name)
                 4. Since in Ohio, I'm assuming you can not get a divorce while your pregnant, how soon can she file for a divorce.

Thank You. Michael

socrateaser

>                1. She refuses to have contact w/ me. ( is
>that legal?)

Yes, it is. You are physically separated, and you have the right to establish a parent-child relationship with the child when it is born. But, until you file for divorce, or until she consents, you cannot force her to communicate with you.

>                2. She still smokes and undereats. I'm
>concerned for the baby's health

This is not a question, so I have no answer.

>                3. Since she has not, and will not change to
>her married name, can she name the baby's last name @ birth to
>her last name she carry's now? ( which is her ex husbands
>name)

No, as you are currently married, you have a right to make an issue of the child's name. However, as you may not be present for the birth, you will need to ask a court to order the birth certificate to show the child with your last name.

>                 4. Since in Ohio, I'm assuming you can not
>get a divorce while your pregnant, how soon can she file for a
>divorce.

You assume wrong. Either of you can file, if you have lived in the jurisdiction for six months prior to the divorce filing.

>
>Thank You. Michael