Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 29, 2024, 01:26:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Frustrations mounting...

Started by dipper, Jan 20, 2005, 01:03:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dipper

Soc,

I have had my reservations about dh's lawyer.  When we went in for our appt Sunday, she had forgotten we were coming, but was there catching up on work.

We were 9 days away from court and she told us she needs detention records from the school.  We are two hours away.  Okay, Monday was holiday, so we mailed off request Tuesday.  

lawyer wanted to talk to teachers and psychologist.  DH has signed releases for this.  Get a call today that psychologist is now saying there is something wrong with release and needs another signed ........and school was closed due to weather.  So, lawyer is trying back tomorrow...and if she cannot reach them, she will have to ask for a continuance.  

The psychologists has simply collected information so far.  Has not had a session alone with ss and has not conducted testing yet.  The teachers are needed to verify emails - otherwise we can only prove that dh has been in contact with these people, not the content about ss' behavior...

Soc...
1) Do lawyer's usually wait until days before court to make these contacts?

2)Considering this hearing date has been set since last June, will the judge have any negative feeling toward a continuance?

Thank you!!!

socrateaser

>1) Do lawyer's usually wait until days before court to make
>these contacts?

Regrettably, yes. Attorneys almost always take too many cases in order to maximize their income, and consequently, they cannot devote quality time to any individual matter. If your attorney asks for a continuance, it appears that the real reason will be to cover her own butt, because she's not prepared.

I can't suggest that you find a different lawyer, because there's no time left, however, if your attorney is granted a continunace, I'd start considering alternate counsel immediately.

>2)Considering this hearing date has been set since last June,
>will the judge have any negative feeling toward a
>continuance?

Depends on the judge. Quite possibly, yes, but if so, then the trial will be held regardless of whether your attorney is prepared or not.

dipper

Soc,

I have had my reservations about dh's lawyer.  When we went in for our appt Sunday, she had forgotten we were coming, but was there catching up on work.

We were 9 days away from court and she told us she needs detention records from the school.  We are two hours away.  Okay, Monday was holiday, so we mailed off request Tuesday.  

lawyer wanted to talk to teachers and psychologist.  DH has signed releases for this.  Get a call today that psychologist is now saying there is something wrong with release and needs another signed ........and school was closed due to weather.  So, lawyer is trying back tomorrow...and if she cannot reach them, she will have to ask for a continuance.  

The psychologists has simply collected information so far.  Has not had a session alone with ss and has not conducted testing yet.  The teachers are needed to verify emails - otherwise we can only prove that dh has been in contact with these people, not the content about ss' behavior...

Soc...
1) Do lawyer's usually wait until days before court to make these contacts?

2)Considering this hearing date has been set since last June, will the judge have any negative feeling toward a continuance?

Thank you!!!

socrateaser

>1) Do lawyer's usually wait until days before court to make
>these contacts?

Regrettably, yes. Attorneys almost always take too many cases in order to maximize their income, and consequently, they cannot devote quality time to any individual matter. If your attorney asks for a continuance, it appears that the real reason will be to cover her own butt, because she's not prepared.

I can't suggest that you find a different lawyer, because there's no time left, however, if your attorney is granted a continunace, I'd start considering alternate counsel immediately.

>2)Considering this hearing date has been set since last June,
>will the judge have any negative feeling toward a
>continuance?

Depends on the judge. Quite possibly, yes, but if so, then the trial will be held regardless of whether your attorney is prepared or not.