Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 28, 2024, 01:36:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

College expenses and health care?

Started by whippertizzy, Feb 07, 2005, 04:04:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whippertizzy

For once this question isn't for me, but for my niece.

My Brother is the custodial parent of my 17 year old niece.  My nieces mother dropped her off at my house when she was 4 years old and told us to keep her til she was 18.  My brother was awarded custody of her when they got divorced.

Now that she is 17, she has moved back to her mothers house.  My niece has the stereotypical stepmother that was making her life miserable.  My Brother is angry that she moved out and told her that he was no longer paying for her health insurance or college.(She graduated early and is in college now)

1.  Isn't there some law about college expenses for children with divorced parents?  I recall my Dh talking about it when he was still alive.

2.  Can he cut her health insurance off while she is still a minor?

3. My niece's mother is on the medical card, if she adds my niece, wouldn't child support enforcement get involved?  

****I have not seen their divorce decree, so I am not sure how it is worded. I just think it is lousy that he cut her off because she was sick of the abuse coming from her stepmother****

socrateaser

>1.  Isn't there some law about college expenses for children
>with divorced parents?  I recall my Dh talking about it when
>he was still alive.

In what State jurisdiction was the original support order for this child made?

whippertizzy

yes, I suppose that would have been helpful info!

Illinois

Right now my niece really needs to go to a Doctor for something and her dad told her too bad so sad shouldn't have moved out.  He might have the right to do it, but I still think the whole thing is lousy.  It's not like she was a troubled teen, She had a step mom that made no bones about not liking her and she finally got sick of it.

socrateaser

>1.  Isn't there some law about college expenses for children
>with divorced parents?  I recall my Dh talking about it when
>he was still alive.

Yes, the child can sue her parent(s) for college support.

>
>2.  Can he cut her health insurance off while she is still a
>minor?

If there's no court order extending support, then yes.

>
>3. My niece's mother is on the medical card, if she adds my
>niece, wouldn't child support enforcement get involved?  

I don't know.

>
>****I have not seen their divorce decree, so I am not sure how
>it is worded. I just think it is lousy that he cut her off
>because she was sick of the abuse coming from her
>stepmother****

This is a hot buttom issue for me. Personally, I don't think that college age support is constitutional, so I'm afraid I'm not very sympathetic on the issue.

whippertizzy

Normally I would agree, but she is still 17. Her Dad pushed and pushed for her to graduate early. Around here most places won't even hire you for a job until you are 18.  If he had cut her off because for any other reason other than the "You don't like my wife so I am mad at you now" I might have agreed with her dad.

I was not aware that you could just cut a child off of health insurance.  

Thank you for your time :)