Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 28, 2024, 01:10:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Medical Insurance Information

Started by jjeb0004, Mar 25, 2005, 07:30:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjeb0004

Per the CO the husband is required to carry medical insurance on the minor child and split the remainder of the costs 50/50 with former wife.

I have call, emailed, wrote letters and given the clinic all the information they need, but they the former wife still lists either her insurance company or her current husbands insurance company and then mine and my wife's insurance.  My insurance has never been billed.  When I called the clinic to inquire, they said their policy is to go by whomever(policyholder) is the oldest, that is which insurance company they bill first.  

Now former wife is requesting a copy of the insurance card which she refused to sign for the certified package with all the insurance information in it on 4 separate occassion over the past two years.

Is this legal, the clinic's policy even if there is a court order?

What about former wife refusing the certified packages?

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

socrateaser

>Is this legal, the clinic's policy even if there is a court
>order?

The clinic is not a party to the order. The mother has undoubtedly signed a contract with the clinic stating that she will be personally responsible for the cost of any healthcare services rendered on the child's behalf. You have signed nothing -- your responsibility is to the other parent.

Your court order states that you must carry insurance and that the other parent must pay 1/2 of any unreimbured healthcare costs. Generally, if a parent avoids using the court ordered insurance, then they do so at their peril, at least to the extent that your insurance would have provided additional coverage.

So, if you determine the other parent or the clinic is billing you for an amount that, but for, the other parent's failure to use your insurance, you would not have had to pay, then you can tell the other parent and/or the clinic to jump in a lake.

I wouldn't do this, however. What I would do, is inform the other parent and the clinic as to your interpretation of your responsibilities, and then state that you intend to adhere to the exact terms of the court order, so that everyone is on notice that you do not intend to pay anymore than you are legally liable for.

Now that' I've discussed the law of the case, it seems to me that it may be more in your interest to simply give the other parent an insurance card. You seem to be standing on ceremony. Life's toooo short to let this sort of thing annoy you.

>
>What about former wife refusing the certified packages?

I don't see how this is relevant to any of your facts. Maybe I'm missing something.

jjeb0004

First of all thank you Soc for answering me.  I want to apologize for
putting so much emotion into it.  It is hard not to.  
Thank you for you advice as to what to do.  

Regarding the former wife refusing the certified packages, she said she is going to bring this up in court that I have not provided insurance for the child, which I know if not true, since I have all the documentation.  How useful will the refusal of the packages be if she tries to use it in court?

Thanks again.

socrateaser

>Regarding the former wife refusing the certified packages, she
>said she is going to bring this up in court that I have not
>provided insurance for the child, which I know if not true,
>since I have all the documentation.  How useful will the
>refusal of the packages be if she tries to use it in court?

Could be useful to prove that she intentionally avoided notice of facts that would have resolved the matter before the court without court intervention. Hopefully, some of those certified envelopes that you sent are still sealed with the info inside. It would be good to put the other parent on the stand, and have her complain about not getting insurance info, then produce an unopened envelope, read the certification date and then open it and pull out insurance cards, etc.