Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 28, 2024, 05:06:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Grandmother wants visitation

Started by Robert in NY, Sep 14, 2005, 03:02:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert in NY

Hello and thanks if you can give me some advice.

My ex and I have a 50/50 agreement that I got from this site. It has went thru New York court and we all agreed to it. Since that day my ex has taken our daughter every other weekend on her weekend off from work. Some times she doesn't pick her up and will go a month between visits.

Now my ex's mother wants to see our daughter every wednesday. I told her I didn't know if it was ok when she asked me about it today ( I skirted the question instead of just saying no). So she called my ex and now they want our daughter on all my ex's days off so her mother can see her.

1. Does my ex's mother have any right to visitation?

2. If I go back to court and ask for full custody since I more or less have had it, do I have a decent chance to win?

3. Should I just shut up and be happy that I have what I have?

Thanks again for reading this and hopefully you can give me some ideas on how to proceed. Take care.

socrateaser

>1. Does my ex's mother have any right to visitation?

No, but she has the right to petition the court in order to make a case that she should be granted visitation. And, your ex can delegate her time to her mother during your ex's visitation times -- as can you.

>2. If I go back to court and ask for full custody since I more
>or less have had it, do I have a decent chance to win?

Hard to say, depends on judge, and how much time has elapsed with you effectively exercising de facto sole custody.

>3. Should I just shut up and be happy that I have what I
>have?

Well, I don't know that changing anything is actually going to change the status quo, so it may be a waste of resources to go back to court. If the other parent moves out of state, then I would seriously consider it, because it will help you protect your rights if the other parent tries to keep the child in a new jurisdiction, at some future time. Other than that, I'd say not to worry about it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Robert in NY