Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 28, 2024, 01:36:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Would a bench warrant be issued?

Started by dipper, Mar 10, 2006, 08:03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dipper

Soc,

Son has criminal matters pending in Juvenile and Domestic court - he is 14.  Last year, when he was charged, he had an initial date.  He and bm went and basically, it was like an intake.  After this, I received a summons to appear in January with him.  

In January, we were asked if he needed an attorney and a date for the actual hearing was set.  I did not sign any papers to return with him and was not instructed to do so.  I was given a card with the new date on it.
I lost my card.

I thought his hearing was next week, but BM told me it was March 9th.  I missed an entire day of work to drive 2 hours one way....and the hearing is next week.  I am afraid of losing my job if I miss again.

So...I received a summons to appear in January - but didnt sign anything to return in March.....

Will I be held in contempt or have a bench warrant issued if I am unable to attend the hearing?

socrateaser

>So...I received a summons to appear in January - but didnt
>sign anything to return in March.....

The child is the defendant, not you, so I don't imagine that you're under any order to appear -- but you may be -- I don't know.

If you're concerned, contact the judge's assistant and ask if there were any orders made during the hearing specifically concerning you. You could also try to get a fax of any minute orders document made during the hearing.

>Will I be held in contempt or have a bench warrant issued if I
>am unable to attend the hearing?

Depends on what the court ordered. I have no clue. However, I'm pretty surprised that you "lost the card" for the hearing and you are using that as an excuse for why you missed it.

Excuses like this are not convincing -- to the court, or to me. I would think this would be important enough for you to make certain you knew when the hearing was to take place.

I'm not scolding you -- just suggesting that you should reevaluate your priorities, because if your goal is to show the court that you're the better parent, this is definitely not the way to accomplish that goal.