Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 29, 2024, 09:00:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Joint Legal Custody in NJ no physical custody- strategy advice req

Started by eagertosee, Oct 17, 2006, 09:55:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eagertosee

Subject: JOINT legal Custody- no physical custody
Briefly,

I made the decision to OPT OUT of the Judge's order for a forensic custody evaluation. Bi-coastal fight became out of reach financially.

Last week at trial in Morris County NJ - I got Joint Legal Custody.

My decision is to leverage the state and the ex-wifes narcissism and self destructive behavior to help me get my son back. Sad strategy but I have no other choices left after a 4 year fight.  She will fall down- she always did and will continue.

Facts:

1. She moved to Hunterdon County 1 week before trial
2. She removed son from school that "had her number" -counselor did communicate to new school my son's IEP and history.
3. Withdrew my son from therapy- school and Morris County DYFS had required her to have him in. She had 2 open and closed cases with DYFS.
4. She has never cooperated with any communication plan with my son so I have not spoken to him since June. That won't change.

Questions are:

1. How can I enforce the JLC to the new school, old school records, medical and therapist records?
2. Can I ask the new school to create/include me in a monthly conference for my son or enforce a new IEP for him?
3. Can I leverage DYFS and JLC in any way to get him back in therapy?
4. Can I make the school give letters that they can read to my son?
5. If he goes to a therapist, can I force joint therapy with me?

Thanks,

socrateaser

>Questions are:
>
>1. How can I enforce the JLC to the new school, old school
>records, medical and therapist records?

Send the school a copy of your order, and ask for copies of the child's records.

>2. Can I ask the new school to create/include me in a monthly
>conference for my son or enforce a new IEP for him?

You can ask, but they can refuse and they probably will. You need to make friends with the staff/teachers, etc., because otherwise, they will probably view you as an overbearing absent parent.

>3. Can I leverage DYFS and JLC in any way to get him back in
>therapy?

DYFS examines abuse reports -- if they don't find anything, they close their case file. If they find something, they ask the local prosecutor to file charges. I don't know what you mean by "leverage."

>4. Can I make the school give letters that they can read to my
>son?

No.

>5. If he goes to a therapist, can I force joint therapy with
>me?

Your subject line states that you have no physical custody. Assuming you have some visitation, then your JLC would permit you to retain a therapist and take the child with you to sessions. But, you can't force the other parent to take the child to therapy without a court order.