Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 28, 2024, 11:47:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

sixteen year old

Started by jenjen, Nov 15, 2006, 04:31:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jenjen

My sixteen year old wants to move in with a relative on other parents side this relarive  does not talk to me, child has since left home  and called me with an altematum. these events occured all of a sudden child stated: can i live with relative? yes or no? I responded that this was not the way to go about it and they should come home to discuss along with relative.

child demanded an answer right then and i said no and asked to speak to the relative cause at this point i was not sure were the child was, child changed subject and asked if they did not come home would i report them as a runaway.

my response was yes if your not home in a reasonable amount of time i would have to and you havent given me much choice cause at this point i dont know were you are.

child said if they came home they would call police, i said if that's what you want to do, you have your own phone feel free to do so. child called police

police came to my home to speak with me concerning child. I asked were was my child but,police would not say. and would not say what they wanted to discuss concerning my child. just wanted to come in home. one officer said that they did not feel comfortable speaking to me threw the door (i had door open and was standing in door way) because he thought i might have "a shot gun behind the door"

I said to the officer you have only been here a few minutes and by seeing me you think i have a shot gun behind the door? I also said I see two people dressed as officers caring guns that upon looking at me fear speaking to me at my door. now who should really feel uncomfortable or afraid? they left without discussing my child.

following day cps came to home and questioned me someone said i beat child with a belt, officer came read me my rights i answered no questions.

i was not arrested, cps told me that child and younger child (who was picked up by older child and cousin after school would be staying at relatives home for weekend (I gave no permission for this)

I picked up younger child from school the following day who informed me that she wanted to come home but, cousin and older sibling would not return her. younger child spoke with cps over weekend after they called and said she was fine.

I still have not spoken to the relative and all actions are stemming from the cousin who is legally an adult.(i think 19 or 20)

this is the actions of a rebellious teen trying to grow up to fast that i'm know finding out that this is about a plan to meet with a boy/youngman 19.

if the child wants to move I have know problem with it, just want to do it the right way and have someone to be reponsible besides a relative that allows child to come and go no questions asked

question:

1.  at this point as the custodial parent what rights do I have to have the child returned can i still report the child as a runaway?

2. can i request that the child be placed in a foster care or some place suitable to take care of and be responsible for a child at this age?

2. can  the child pick and choose to live were they want at 16 almost 17?

3. can i be  held reponsible if child gets into trouble (driving without    license has car accident etc..)

4. can I persue any action against the relative for keeping child in there home?

5. does cps have any liability if the child becomes injured or get into trouble?

socrateaser

>question:
>
>1.  at this point as the custodial parent what rights do I
>have to have the child returned can i still report the child
>as a runaway?

yes.

>
>2. can i request that the child be placed in a foster care or
>some place suitable to take care of and be responsible for a
>child at this age?

You could do that. You may be charged with child support payable to the state, though.

>
>2. can  the child pick and choose to live were they want at 16
>almost 17?

Not without a court order emancipating the child.

>
>3. can i be  held reponsible if child gets into trouble
>(driving without    license has car accident etc..)

Depends on your state's law. At common law, the answer would be that you could only be charged with the cost of necessaries (food, shelther, clothing, urgent medical care), or sued for negligent supervision, which would be a losing theory, in that you aren't responsible for not supervising a child who refuses to be supervised.

>
>4. can I persue any action against the relative for keeping
>child in there home?

Not unless this is all taking place in NC. I believe that is the only jurisdiction which still permits suits for alienation of affection.

>
>5. does cps have any liability if the child becomes injured or
>get into trouble?

None, unless they are first ordered to take custody by the court.

jenjen

My sixteen year old wants to move in with a relative on other parents side this relarive  does not talk to me, child has since left home  and called me with an altematum. these events occured all of a sudden child stated: can i live with relative? yes or no? I responded that this was not the way to go about it and they should come home to discuss along with relative.

child demanded an answer right then and i said no and asked to speak to the relative cause at this point i was not sure were the child was, child changed subject and asked if they did not come home would i report them as a runaway.

my response was yes if your not home in a reasonable amount of time i would have to and you havent given me much choice cause at this point i dont know were you are.

child said if they came home they would call police, i said if that's what you want to do, you have your own phone feel free to do so. child called police

police came to my home to speak with me concerning child. I asked were was my child but,police would not say. and would not say what they wanted to discuss concerning my child. just wanted to come in home. one officer said that they did not feel comfortable speaking to me threw the door (i had door open and was standing in door way) because he thought i might have "a shot gun behind the door"

I said to the officer you have only been here a few minutes and by seeing me you think i have a shot gun behind the door? I also said I see two people dressed as officers caring guns that upon looking at me fear speaking to me at my door. now who should really feel uncomfortable or afraid? they left without discussing my child.

following day cps came to home and questioned me someone said i beat child with a belt, officer came read me my rights i answered no questions.

i was not arrested, cps told me that child and younger child (who was picked up by older child and cousin after school would be staying at relatives home for weekend (I gave no permission for this)

I picked up younger child from school the following day who informed me that she wanted to come home but, cousin and older sibling would not return her. younger child spoke with cps over weekend after they called and said she was fine.

I still have not spoken to the relative and all actions are stemming from the cousin who is legally an adult.(i think 19 or 20)

this is the actions of a rebellious teen trying to grow up to fast that i'm know finding out that this is about a plan to meet with a boy/youngman 19.

if the child wants to move I have know problem with it, just want to do it the right way and have someone to be reponsible besides a relative that allows child to come and go no questions asked

question:

1.  at this point as the custodial parent what rights do I have to have the child returned can i still report the child as a runaway?

2. can i request that the child be placed in a foster care or some place suitable to take care of and be responsible for a child at this age?

2. can  the child pick and choose to live were they want at 16 almost 17?

3. can i be  held reponsible if child gets into trouble (driving without    license has car accident etc..)

4. can I persue any action against the relative for keeping child in there home?

5. does cps have any liability if the child becomes injured or get into trouble?

socrateaser

>question:
>
>1.  at this point as the custodial parent what rights do I
>have to have the child returned can i still report the child
>as a runaway?

yes.

>
>2. can i request that the child be placed in a foster care or
>some place suitable to take care of and be responsible for a
>child at this age?

You could do that. You may be charged with child support payable to the state, though.

>
>2. can  the child pick and choose to live were they want at 16
>almost 17?

Not without a court order emancipating the child.

>
>3. can i be  held reponsible if child gets into trouble
>(driving without    license has car accident etc..)

Depends on your state's law. At common law, the answer would be that you could only be charged with the cost of necessaries (food, shelther, clothing, urgent medical care), or sued for negligent supervision, which would be a losing theory, in that you aren't responsible for not supervising a child who refuses to be supervised.

>
>4. can I persue any action against the relative for keeping
>child in there home?

Not unless this is all taking place in NC. I believe that is the only jurisdiction which still permits suits for alienation of affection.

>
>5. does cps have any liability if the child becomes injured or
>get into trouble?

None, unless they are first ordered to take custody by the court.