Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 05:16:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Settlement conference

Started by mishelle2, Feb 21, 2007, 12:51:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mishelle2

Soc,

DH had court to set date for evidenciary hearing and opposing counsel asked for a settlement conference to be set first. Which was

What takes place at a settlement conference?

state is CA

thanks

socrateaser

>Soc,
>
>DH had court to set date for evidenciary hearing and opposing
>counsel asked for a settlement conference to be set first.
>Which was
>
>
>
>What takes place at a settlement conference?

Parties try to negotiate one or all matters prior to trial. If fail, then attorneys sign "at-issue memorandum," and the court sets a trial date.

mishelle2

do you know if this is usually a closed courtroom.
or
 can parties bring people to observe?

I am asking cause the bm will not make any decisions without her parents approval.

socrateaser

>do you know if this is usually a closed courtroom.
>or
> can parties bring people to observe?

LOL! Frequently it happens in the courthouse cafeteria! Seriously, the location is up to the parties. The conference is mandatory, but the location is not.

>
>I am asking cause the bm will not make any decisions without
>her parents approval.

That really is irrelevant. People either settle or they don't. You can only be responsible for your own decisions.

mishelle2

That really is irrelevant. People either settle or they don't. You can only be responsible for your own decisions.

oh believe me soc.. you know that I know that .. but someone forgot to pass the memo to bm that said when in 30's do not need your parents permission!! lol lol

HAVE A GREAT DAY!!

DecentDad

Just offering my two cents here, because my ex is frequently influenced by her friends and family and can't be nailed down on anything during a one-on-one discussion (i.e., I usually hear, "I'll have to get back to you on that.").

In my case, deposing her really brought out some great stuff because there was nobody she could turn to on what her opinion and answers SHOULD be.

E.g., she happily agreed with my attorney that she could immediately go out and get a $60k/year job whenever she wants, but she prefers to be a full-time mother.

Use her inabilities to think for herself to your advantage.