Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 06:52:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

mother kills teens then self

Started by Bolivar, Dec 30, 2004, 07:28:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bolivar

http://www.wakeweekly.com/story2.shtml

The Wake Weekly
 PO Box 1919 - 229 E. Owen Ave.
Wake Forest, NC 27588

Franklin County mother kills teens, self

by Lindsay Varner, Wake Weekly Staff Writer

December 30, 2004

A Franklin County woman shot and killed her two teenage children and herself early Wednesday morning in a mobile home off Flat Rock Church Road.

Caroline Ollison, 36, of 33 Whites Lane, Louisburg, was found dead by her roommate, Tammy Jackson, around 3 a.m., Franklin County Sheriff Jerry Jones said.

Jones said the apparent cause of death was a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head. After EMS and a deputy arrived at the scene, a deputy went through the doublewide to check on Ollison's children. Jones said the deputy found Nicole Ollison, 14, dead in the living room.

"She was shot point blank in the head while she was sleeping," Jones said.

The deputy then found Reginald "R.J." Ollison, 13, shot to death in a bedroom. R.J. was also shot in the head and neck while sleeping, Jones said.

He said investigators believe Ollison shot her daughter first, then traveled to her son's bedroom to shoot him before returning to the bedroom she shared with Jackson and turning the rifle on herself. The noise awakened Jackson who called authorities.

Jones said the children lived with their father, Reginald Ollison, in the Durham area. Reginald Ollison was separated from his wife, who had only recently been granted permission for the children to visit her during the holidays.

Ollison had lived in the county for two or three months, Jones said. He said the children had only been at the mobile home for a few days.

Investigators have not established a motive. Jackson and her 12-year-old son were unharmed.

Last Updated On: December 30, 2004

Bolivar

http://www.click2houston.com/news/828906/detail.html

Police: Houston Mother Kills 5 Children

Police Discover Children Inside Home

HOUSTON -- Police discovered five children dead inside a southeast Houston home around 10 a.m. Wednesday.

Police said that they were called to a home in the 900 block of Beachcomber Lane in Clear Lake after receiving a telephone call from the mother, Andrea Yates.

Yates, 36, was taken away in handcuffs by police and was charged with multiple capital murder charges Wednesday night.

When police arrived, they found five children dead inside the home, police said.

Yates answered the door and allegedly told police that she had killed her children. They believe that Yates drowned all five children, police said.

"When our responding officer arrived, he was met at the door by the woman, who was breathing heavily and you could tell she was disturbed," Houston Police Department spokesman John Cannon said. "At that time, she said to the officer, 'I killed my children.'"

The children, four boys and one girl, range in age from 6 months to 7 years old.

"She led the officer to the bedroom, where there were four bodies, and then led the officer to the bathroom, where there was one body in the bathtub," Cannon said.

Police spokesman Alvin Wright said that 7-year-old Noah Yates was found in a bathtub.

The boys and a girl were discovered on the bed with a sheet covering them. They were identified as Mary Yates, 6 months; Luke Yates, 2; Paul Yates, 3; and John Yates, 5, according to police.

Yates' husband, Russell Yates, was called home from work by Yates, but he was initially too grief-stricken to talk with police. They have been married for eight years.

Russell Yates After Hearing NewsRussell Yates (pictured, left) works for NASA at Johnson Space Center in the shuttle program. Several NASA response psychologists arrived at Yates' home to try and comfort him.

[IMG SRC="http://images.ibsys.com/2001/0620/829557_200X150.jpg" BORDER=0]

"It is just rather unimaginable," Cannon said. "It's difficult to deal with when you are talking about five little kids who were killed, probably systematically."

Russell Yates arrived home about the same time police officers did, finding the children dead and still wet.

Cannon said that Yates also was wet when she answered the door.

Yates has been treated for postpartum depression for the past two years. She was so depressed over the weekend that she couldn't accompany her children to a neighborhood party.

Russell Yates told officers his wife was on medication for the condition.

"You can rest assured it will be carried as a capital case," Cannon said.

A conviction on a capital murder charge in Texas could carry a death sentence. Police expect to file charges against Yates Wednesday evening after questioning wraps up.

Police said when they arrived, they kept Russell Yates from entering the home. Cannon described the scene as traumatic but said that police kept the husband from the home to protect the evidence.

"What's scary is that it might have been anyone," neighbor John Fancher said. "My kids could have been staying over there."

Mother Tried To Commit Suicide In Past

Andrea Yates was no stranger to depression.

Yates was hospitalized two years ago after an overdose suicide attempt.

Children's Protective Services was made aware of it, and a child welfare agency was made aware of that but decided there was no need to follow up with Yates, according to a KPRC TV report.

It was two years ago almost to the day that Yates came to the attention of CPS.

"There was no concern here that the children were in any danger or that the mother was threatening to them," Judy Hay of Children's Protective Services told KPRC TV.

After Yates' alleged attempt at suicide, Hay said that doctors were only worried about the kids' whereabouts.

CPS found the kids safe with relatives and no investigation or follow-up was ever done.

"For us to be able to investigate, there has to be some allegation that a child is at risk of being abused or neglected or that a child already has been," Hay said. "That's not what this call was two years ago."

For more information on postpartum depression, click here.

Neighbors Stunned By News

Andrea Yates' neighbors were stunned to learn Wednesday morning that she admitted to police that she had killed her children.

[IMG SRC="http://images.ibsys.com/2001/0620/829551_200X150.jpg" BORDER=0]

Yates didn't accompany her husband and children to a neighborhood party (pictured, right) because as neighbors told KPRC TV, she was battling a severe bout of depression.

"We asked him how come she didn't come," neighbor Pat Salas, who hosted the party and took home video of the Yates children, said. "He said she stayed (at home) because she was going through a (bout) of depression from having babies. That's what he said."

Salas actually thought that Yates had committed suicide after she saw the squad cars surround the home and police tape being put up.

"I didn't even think it was the children," Salas said.

The Yates family looked like any other family around the middle-class neighborhood, according to neighbors.

Neighbors told KPRC TV that they knew Yates was depressed but never realized the severity and had no idea that depression would turn to murder.

"Many of us would have helped her," neighbor Kelly McBeth said. "Any of us would have helped her had we known."

Many neighbors told KPRC that they had no idea anything was wrong.

"They were real nice," another neighbor said. "She took the kids for a walk in the stroller, and you'd see them riding their bikes."

Neighbor Dianne Shultz doesn't know the Yates, but was moved to tears after hearing the news. She especially feels for Russell Yates, who not only lost five children but lost a wife to the law.

"It's got to be tough," Shultz said. "He'll need a lot of help. I can't believe she did it. My prayers for the rest of my life will include him and his whole family."

Memorial Fund Set Up

A memorial fund for the Yates family has been set up. The money donated will help with the funeral costs.

To donate money, send it to:

Yates Memorial Fund
      Sterling Bank
      P.O. Box 590027
      Houston, TX 77259

You can also drop off donations at Clear Lake Flowers at 907 El Dorado or call (281) 286-0068.

Distributed by Internet Broadcasting Systems, Inc. The Associated Press contributed to this report. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

catherine

I guess I am wondering what your point is posting the Andrea Yates story, which happened quite a while ago and made world news,  and the other one?  There are just as many "father kills children" stories out there.  What exactly is the social significance of posting these stories with no byline or your personal thoughts?

Bolivar

How many men's shelters for DV are there?
How many DV charges are made by men?

My point is simply that the males in society are considered the killers and women the victims.

My premise:
1. A child needs 2 parents to raise them. A mother and a father.  Both are EQUAL in nurturing the children.
2. Both parents should share EQUALLY in monetarily supporting the children.

1. The post represent that mothers can be killers.

2. Here is my question concerning Child Support.

How come a CP is not required to work, or should I say if CP doesn't
work Child Support does a math calculation to adjust monies paid by NCP. (I know many CP who stay at home once remarried)

If NCP doesn't work arrears are accumulated and the NCP can go to jail. (a NCP is not allowed to be a stay at home parent)

The entire burden of monetary raising the child falls on the NCP lap.

If the NCP is not making payments, the CP can go to the government and
get assistants.

According to the law the CP has NO responsibility to financial support
the children.

QUESTION?
Shouldn't BOTH parents EQUALLY share in the parenting and financial
supporting the children?  How can the law only hold one parent
responsible for the finances and the other parent responsible for
raising the children?

To split the children like that to me is immoral and just plain bad law.

-----------------------------------------------------

[em]"point is posting the Andrea Yates story"[/em]

Author: Fire Byrd
Date:   12-30-04 11:09

Oh yes, the Yates mother, I remember her well. A friend of mine took that call and it was a sad site to see. ( I am a Houston Fire Fighter) How can a woman claim insanity on such a thing and shed tears for all to belive her. I have not ket up with this story lately although she still makes the news here and there.

MYSONSDAD

Good post. Holidays can bring out the worst in depression and it becomes deadly for so many. Very sad for the loved ones left behind...

And I agree, women can commit violent acts as well as some men. But in most cases, men commit suicide afterward...

"Children learn what they live"

catherine

It doesn't make sense to go that way, Bolivar.

How many men's shelters for DV are there?
How many DV charges are made by men?

>> Statistically, it's been shown time and time again that men commit 28% more violent acts then women.  That translates basically for every  one violent act by women, there are 28 violent acts by men.

>>There are shelters for DV for men.  Admittedly not as many, however society is changing BOL.  Not only that, but how many women whom go to the shelters are financially supported (controlled) by the men?  How many men who are being abused are Stay At Home Dads whom are financially dependable upon the woman of the house?  The numbers are not proportionable.  If an abused man wants to leave, they are usually working and can afford somewhere to go.  A majority of abused women are not working and have no means to finanically support themselves when they leave.

My point is simply that the males in society are considered the killers and women the victims.

>> I don't think that's true.  I think most of us know that both women and men can be killers and women can be manipulative and controlling and not victims.

My premise:
1. A child needs 2 parents to raise them. A mother and a father. Both are EQUAL in nurturing the children.
2. Both parents should share EQUALLY in monetarily supporting the children.

>>My premise:
1.  A child needs 2 FIT parents to raise them.  A FIT mother and a FIT father.  Both FIT parents are EQUAL in nuturing the children.
2.  Both parents "SHOULD" share equally in monetarily supporting the children, EXCEPT FOR in cases of divorce in which one parent gave up career paths to be a SAH parent for the child(ren).  That parent is at a disadvantage fiancially and can not be expected to be as a high an earner as the other post divorce.  I propose that after a set amount of time, things are considered equal in ability to earn.

1. The post represent that mothers can be killers.

2. Here is my question concerning Child Support.

How come a CP is not required to work, or should I say if CP doesn't
work Child Support does a math calculation to adjust monies paid by NCP. (I know many CP who stay at home once remarried)

If NCP doesn't work arrears are accumulated and the NCP can go to jail. (a NCP is not allowed to be a stay at home parent)

>> Bolivar, I know many NCP's that do not pay.  When they do, they pay a very small amount, just enough for the enforcement proceedings to squeak by.  An NCP must be VERY deliquent in supporting their child before they will ever go to jail.  Not only that, but I have read many stories when the CP parent chooses to stay home, their income is still imputed.

The entire burden of monetary raising the child falls on the NCP lap.

>> That's really naive.  The whole reason there are collection agencies and state enforcement units are for the thousands upon thousands of people who do not pay their child support.  Those rotten tomatoes spoiled the whole bunch.
>> Personally, when my DH was the NCP, he paid her $866 a month for 2 children and was never late and volunatrily had a wage garnishment.  For a little over 2 1/2 years he has been the CP, firstly, he voluntarily gave her one year CS free, to help her get on her feet.  Once the CS wasn't rolling in, she went into major financial despair and actually had 2 cars repo'ed.  Since that time, he went to CSE and it took them another year to get a hearing.  Because of the way the agreement was worded, she went into arrears for that year she was supposed to be paying.  In the last 6 months or so, we've seen her quit two jobs, and only make about 2 months full payments.  And her payment is only $360 a month for the same two children.

>> Yes, this is our personal experience but because of this situation my eyes have been opened very WIDE.  There are a lot of NCP's who don't pay, Bolivar.  Not because they CAN'T, but because they WON't.

>> in our case I will say that your statement that the NCP is the only one who is mandated to pay CS is wrong, wrong, wrong.  I think you should say that the parent who is responsible and has the children's best interests at heart is usually the one who takes the financial burden, regardless if they are NCP or CP.

If the NCP is not making payments, the CP can go to the government and
get assistants.
>> And that's wrong?  How would you expect a single CP to get a full time job that would cover daycare bills, lawyer bills, and everything else if they are very poor to begin with?

According to the law the CP has NO responsibility to financial support
the children.
>> False again, a majority of states use the shared income model, and not just a straight % of the NCP's salary.

QUESTION?
Shouldn't BOTH parents EQUALLY share in the parenting and financial
supporting the children? How can the law only hold one parent
responsible for the finances and the other parent responsible for
raising the children?

To split the children like that to me is immoral and just plain bad law.

>> The laws fail on both sides of the equation.  I really can say I haven't read of any alternative propsed laws that make any better sense or cover all the loopholes.  Minus, of course the presumption of shared parenting, unless one parent can be proven to be unfit.

Bolivar

>> Bolivar, I know many NCP's that do not pay.

I do NOT know one.  

1. My eX worked 40-45 hours before we met and when we were married.
2. I was married 4 ½ years
3. I get every other weekend with son and tues 3:00 – 600 pm.
4. eX will not allowed one extra second companionship between father and son.
5. As you know I just can't go back into court and say "Father and son need more time together".
5. I paid $24K Spousal Support and $35K Child Support in 2003.
6. eX now works 20 hours a week and send son to day care full time.
7. I go to daycare to spend more time with son.  I can NOT take son out of day care because CP (residential parent) says I can't.  That's the Law.
8.  In my county we are building a data base and so far I can say there has  never been a case where there was 2 Fit parents and the father was awarded CP (residential parent).
9. In my county if there is any type of bickering between the parents and mom demands to be CP she will get it. (the judges do NOT like shared parenting)

I use to come home every evening and play with my son.  Now I only get every other weekend and I must support two house holds.

In my world I see absolutely NO equality taking place in the family court system.  If one becomes designated as a NCP you rarely get to see your children and must pay monies for ones title.

Hell my brother has 50/50 physical and legal custody and pays for all medical, school and extras.  He still has to pay the eX around $1,200 a month in Child Support.  And his eX to this day has never worked over 20 hours a week.

MYSONSDAD

I found Bols article fitting for the Fathers Issues board. Gender bias was not his intent, he was posting articles many would be interested in.

Not long ago, I posted a father who is being accused of killing his 3 year old daughter. When it is something that concerns us, we post it.

Also, check the statistics on false RO's and OOP's, who initiates those? How many are false?

Here is something I found in the archives. You can also send for a copy of this, address is shown at the bottom....And a toll free number is also listed

DHHS and BJS Studies of Child Abuse and Neglect

Who abuses children? That question is answered with the hard data contained in the Third National Incidence Study of Child Abuse and Neglect (NIS-3) from the US Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) and also from data in a report from the Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) entitled "Child Victimizers and Their Victims". The DHHS and BJS reports reveal some startling conclusions about who really commits child abuse.

The DHHS report contains clear and undeniable evidence that the majority of child abuse is committed by mothers, not fathers. This runs counter to the standard mainstream-media depiction of child abusers as being almost exclusively male.

You can get a free copy of the report by calling 1-800-394-3366. Examine the data and you will come to the same conclusion the Department of Health and Human Services did- that mothers commit the majority of child abuse, not fathers.

The report includes the following items:

Table 5-3 shows that children in mother-only households are almost 4 times more likely to be fatally abused [read: murdered] than children in father-only households.

Table 5-4 shows that children in mother-only households are 40% more likely to be sexually abused than children in father-only households.

Table 6-4 shows that females are 78% of the perpetrators of fatal child abuse [read: child murder], 81% of natural parents who seriously abuse their children, 72% of natural parents who moderately abuse their children, and 65% of natural parents who are inferred to have abused their children.

Table 6-3 shows that natural mothers are the perpetrators of 93% of physical neglect, 86% of educational neglect, 78% of emotional neglect, 60% of physical abuse, and 55% of emotional abuse.

Table 6-3 also shows when the perpetrator is a non-natural parent, that males [read: non-biological fathers] are the perpetrators of 90% of physical abuse, 97% of sexual abuse, 74% of emotional abuse, and 82% of educational neglect.

Table 5-2 shows that children are 20 times more likely to be fatally abused, 22 times more likely to be seriously abused, 20 times more likely to be moderately abused, and 18 times more likely to be sexually abused in households earning less than $15,000 per year [read: father-absent households] than in households earning more than $30,000 per year [read: father-present households].

Table 4-2 shows that boys are four times more likely to be fatally abused and 24% more likely to be seriously abused than girls .

Table 3-4 shows that between 1986 and 1993, as the number of single-mother households increased dramatically, fatal child abuse increased 46% and serious child abuse increased four fold.

The disclaimer on page 6-21 is typical government-sponsored feminist double-speak:

"Consistent with the fact that mothers and mother-substitutes tend to be the primary caretakers, 87 percent of all neglected children and 93 percent of physically neglected children suffered their neglect at the hands of female perpetrators." (Emphasis added)

The report "Child Victimizers and Their Victims" from the Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) also details child abuse by women. The study uses data from the 1991 BJS Survey of State Prison Inmates and the FBI's 1992 Supplementary Homicide Report, which includes data on child murder victims (nearly 3,000 in 1992) and offenders who murdered children.

The report states that more than twice as many children are murdered as were reported by the NIS-3, in which Table 6-4 shows that 1,500 children were fatally abused in 1993--1,200 by natural parents, and 78% by females. Since the data for the percent of non-natural parents [read: step-fathers and live-in boyfriends] who fatally abused their children is missing, the assumption is made that the percent of perpetrators of fatal abuse by non-natural fathers is an average of Table 6-3 (90%, 97%, 74%, 82%, or 86%).

28 million children are now growing up in fatherless households, where the rate of fatal child abuse is 0.017 per 1,000 children, so 476 children were fatally abused in mother-only households in 1993. 2.8 million children are now growing up in father-only households where the rate of fatal abuse is .005 per 1,000 children, so 14 children were fatally abused in father-only households in 1993.

Total Children Killed in 1993 1,500
Killed By Natural Parents 1,200
Killed By Non-natural Parents 300
Killed By Females 1,170
Killed By Males* 330
Killed In Mother-only Households 476
Killed In Father-only Households 14
*Of the children killed by males:
      14% By Natural Fathers: 37
      86% By Non-natural Fathers: 227
      20% By 'others': 66

According to the government's own figures, females kill 31 times as many children as natural fathers.
The conclusion is unavoidable: Females, NOT males, commit the vast majority of child abuse, regardless of how the media ignores the figures.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Copies of the Third National Incidence Study of Child Abuse and Neglect (NIS-3) can be obtained by calling National Clearinghouse on Child Abuse and Neglect Information at 1-800-394-3366.
Copies of the Estimates from the Redesigned Survey, written by Ronet Bachman, Ph.D., a BJS statistician, and Linda E. Saltzman, Ph.D., a senior scientist at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, may be obtained by calling or writing the BJS Clearinghouse, Box 179, Annapolis Junction, Maryland 20701-1079. The telephone number is 1-800-732-3277.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Page Location: http://www.deltabravo.net/custody/abusers.htm  Ad-Free Login  

"Children learn what they live"

catherine

According to the government's own figures, females kill 31 times as many children as natural fathers.
The conclusion is unavoidable: Females, NOT males, commit the vast majority of child abuse, regardless of how the media ignores the figures.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I never said that women don't kill more children.  I said that overall, men commit 28% more VIOLENT crimes than women.  Are there a lot of female serial killers?

You do make an interesting point with the above article though.  Like most hardcore Father's Rights members, you are insinuating that men are BETTER parents than women by posting articles like the one above.  Yet, you scream for equality, but really hardcore FRG's think they are BETTER parents than mothers when quoting articles such as this.

And about killing children.  Like Andrea Yates, there is a certain mental disorder that comes along for a small minority of women during pregnancy.  It's called Post Partum Psychosis.  SANE people don't kill their children.

And one other slant that even your article says is femno babble but it's too ironic.  Near the end of the article it says "28 million children are now growing up in fatherless households, where the rate of fatal child abuse is 0.017 per 1,000 children, ..." but yet, women have the higher percentage rate of abusing their children?  Do you not see the irony in that?  There are MORE female single parent families than single male parent families, so if it was switched around, do you think that men would have a higher rate of abuse towards children than women?

Please stop it with "this is the father's board" line!!  Of course I know it is.  I don't understand why someone would just post a couple articles with no commentary or anything, that's all.

Stepmom0418

I found the article quite interesting and am glad that it was posted here for all to read! This article was posted for all to read. If you dont want to read it you dont have to! Do you? Why make a big deal out of something that you think is not important??

I dont believe that anyone here is saying that men are better parents than women. They are trying to make a point that women CAN be violent and do commit crimes! Women do harm children and ect.

The courts have a bias against giving men the same rights they give women.

This is not only going on in family courts it is ALL courts! I have seen it even in criminal courts.....men and women can do the same crime but the woman gets a slap on the hand and the man goes to prison for a very long time. Why?? Because our courts are Bias and favor women!