Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 29, 2024, 04:24:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

How do you stop payments when child turns 18?

Started by 5littlemonkeys, Jul 16, 2007, 11:45:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

5littlemonkeys

My husbands son turns 18 in August. We can't find a form ANYWHERE to stop the payments! Help!! What do we do???

MixedBag

What state?

Contact Child Support Enforcement of the state that has jurisdiction.

Each state has it's own procedures....

In AL, I just had to go down to their office and say "Hey, girls emancipated, and it's fine with me to close our case."

They gave me the form to sign, flipped the switch in the computer, and it was done.  In this case, I'm the CP.

Other states have to have a motion and stuff....so it's really hard to give you one right answer.

mistoffolees

Start by reading your divorce decree and custody order. What does it say? If it says that you only pay until the child is 18, then you simply stop paying. If a state agency is collecting the money, you go see them with the information (take the child's birth certificate or driver's license along with the decree as evidence). If it doesn't say anything about when it ends, it will depend on the state law. If it says that you have to pay as long as the child is in college, then you can't stop at 18 if the child is in college. Etc.

Always start with the divorce decree.

jilly

If there is court ordered child support you can't just "simply stop paying".  You have to file a motion to terminate child support.