Separated Parenting Access & Resource Center
crazy gamesriddles and jokesfunny picturesdeath psychic!mad triviafunny & odd!pregnancy testshape testwin custodyrecipes

Author Topic: ER instead of the Dr.  (Read 2570 times)


  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 936
  • Karma: 17
    • View Profile
ER instead of the Dr.
« on: Nov 08, 2008, 07:22:47 AM »
I posted on the Fathers board as will, but maybe this is more appropriate.
First of all, BM is freaking out. She only gets 6 months more of her child support income and then she is on her own. She emailed DH several days ago asking what he was willing to do to help support SD after she graduates highschool and explained that she would still be living with BM, so BM will still have to feed and clothe her etc... DH responded that whatever happens after graduation is between him and his daughter and he would be happy to speak with DD about it.
Well she lost it. She emailed a couple times some nasty comments. She called DH cell and our home # but didn't leave a message. The next morning DH checks his cell and there were 11 calls from her with no message.  All the calls were between 6:30 and 8 in the morning.  She finally called the house that evening. I answered because DH was out and she was yelling and freaking out (normal for her). Anyway, I ask if there is an emergency and she said yes. I asked if SD is ok and she said no. She said she had called DHs cell several time and he didn't answer. I asked if she left a message and she said "He knows I called. I don't have to leave a message". 
To make a long story longer, she calls his cell and finally leaves a message yelling at him saying that she is taking SD to the emergency room. She ended the message with "thats what you get".
Turns out, BM was calling that morning to get DH to put the $15 copay for the family practitioner on his credit card because she doesn't have any money. She took SD to the ER because the would bill her($100) and she didn't care that it cost more because DH is responsible for all uncovered costs. 
We have it in an email from BM that she chose to go to the ER and not to the family practitioner because she was trying to avoid the up-front copay.
What do you think? I think DH should just reimburse BM for the $15 she would have paid and have the rest be her responsibility.
Thanks for putting up with my venting


  • Private Reserve
  • SuperHero
  • ***
  • Posts: 5073
  • Karma: 172
    • View Profile
Re: ER instead of the Dr.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 08, 2008, 12:26:17 PM »
Do you have to go to court to stop the child support soon or it is in there that is will automatically stop?
If you are going to go to court anyway, I would just let it go until then and just pay the $15. Let her bring it up. I would also make sure that the hosiptal has HER info and that she signed for care and the bill should be sent to her. How much is your ER copay?

Kitty C.

  • Moderator
  • SuperHero
  • *****
  • Posts: 2612
  • Karma: 938
    • View Profile
Re: ER instead of the Dr.
« Reply #2 on: Nov 08, 2008, 01:15:32 PM »
I also responded on the Father's Forum, but it struck me as I was reading your post here that the BM is an idiot!  Not that what she's doing is wrong, but that she really thinks that she still has to support your SD after she turns 18!  My first response to her would have been that if SD is 18, she's now an adult and responsible for her own expenses.  And if BM has a problem with that, it makes me think BM hasn't done a very good job of raising her to be self-reliant.
But I know that if you or your DH said that to her, she'd probably go off the deep end, LOL!  
Just keep reminding yourselves.........you both will only be her punching bags for short time now and after SD turns 18, you can tell her to take a flying leap!
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......


Copyright © SPARC - A Parenting Advocacy Group
Use of this website does not constitute a client/attorney relationship and this site does not provide legal advice.
If you need legal assistance for divorce, child custody, or child support issues, seek advice from a divorce lawyer.