Separated Parenting Access & Resource Center
crazy gamesriddles and jokesfunny picturesdeath psychic!mad triviafunny & odd!pregnancy testshape testwin custodyrecipes

Author Topic: Releasing all parental rights...  (Read 7141 times)


  • New Arrival
  • *
  • Posts: 1
  • Karma: 0
    • View Profile
Releasing all parental rights...
« on: Mar 19, 2008, 02:56:23 PM »
OK, I'll try to make this as short, but as informative as I can....

I'm currently pregnant - 23 weeks.  I'm not 100% positive who the father is... it's between 2.  I told both of them that I don't want them to have any part in this child's life... I don't plan on putting either of their names on the birth certificate, therefore also not claiming child support.

One of them (we'll call him F1) recently got married and didn't tell his wife about possibly expecting a child.  Well, she found out somehow.  In order for him to try and patch things with her he wants to make it "legal" that he will have no rights or obligations to the child or to me.

Also, both fathers want a paternity test when she's born.  Here are my questions:

1) Is there actually anything legal we could do/sign now to relinquish F1's rights/obligations as a father?

2) By getting a paternity test will I be forced to put the resulting father down on the birth certificate.... which in turn would charge him child support and give him parental rights.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!


  • Private Reserve
  • SuperHero
  • ***
  • Posts: 3058
  • Karma: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Releasing all parental rights...
« Reply #1 on: Mar 23, 2008, 07:56:02 AM »
1) It is the right of your child to have a legal father. That right cannot be taken away by you.

2) Paternity tests will be court ordered--whether you agree or not, and the father's name WILL go on the birth certificate. Child support and parenting time WILL be ordered.

This isn't up to you.


  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 397
  • Karma: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Releasing all parental rights...
« Reply #2 on: Apr 13, 2008, 12:00:35 PM »
Yes, he will get parenting time...but he doesn't have to exercise it if he's not so inclined.

If he has no contact with the child, eventually if you married your and your spouse could ask him to let hubby adopt. That would release dad from future support. If he pays when court ordered, that is considered contact so you couldn't do it without his permission. He might still be liable for any back support after an adoption.


Copyright © SPARC - A Parenting Advocacy Group
Use of this website does not constitute a client/attorney relationship and this site does not provide legal advice.
If you need legal assistance for divorce, child custody, or child support issues, seek advice from a divorce lawyer.